Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 11:37 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)
Default Re: Pocket 6s, play along....REST OF TURN

[ QUOTE ]
This is why I liked a check. A TAG may raise a gaybet here in a decent pot with A-high. Less likely if he knows you're solid though so I think you can lay it down. If you can't fold to this then I really think you should have checked.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-06-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Pocket 6s, play along....

I don't know why Hero (after checking) didn't raise the pfr to find out where he was. If he gets 3-bet on the flop he could call and check-fold unimproved from there and save some money to an overpair. Hero can still call down if villain is unknown. But Hero doesn't want lots of punters in the pot, does he?
Old 05-06-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
betting the turn is a must.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, since CDC, Entity, DMB, and obviously Nicky all say this is so obvious I'm obviously off thinking a check is OK. But can one of you just explain to me why? What does button bet on the flop that he doesn't bet on the turn? Does A-high just take the free card more often than I'm thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are my thoughts...I figured the most likely holding for the TAG are 2 high cards, I didn't know if he was the type to take a free river card with overs after betting the flop, so, I didn't want to give a free card to the pf raiser of the UTG player.

Those were my thoughts at least as I played the hand.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why Hero (after checking) didn't raise the pfr to find out where he was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this would be a better idea if my position relative to the pre-flop raiser was a little better, or, if no one has yet called the pre-flop raiser's bet. I don't like check/raising with a player in between.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here are my thoughts...I figured the most likely holding for the TAG are 2 high cards, I didn't know if he was the type to take a free river card with overs after betting the flop, so, I didn't want to give a free card to the pf raiser of the UTG player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I guess I'm just underestimating the amount of times he does take a free card with worse hands and also maybe off also in thinking he will raise with worse hands occasionally. I was just thinking anyone aggressive enough to bet unimproved overs into a field of 4 will usually follow up with a turn bet. But after two opponents peel on this flop I guess that's not really true.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, since CDC, Entity, DMB, and obviously Nicky all say this is so obvious I'm obviously off thinking a check is OK. But can one of you just explain to me why? What does button bet on the flop that he doesn't bet on the turn? Does A-high just take the free card more often than I'm thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

The PFR might have AQ, AJ, AK, KQ all of wihich might check the turn for a free card. Really any card T or higher makes the 6's suck. Betting the turn might get one of those hands to incorrectly fold.

I am for betting the flop here also. Gets you more info. cheaper. Paying off the turn raise is really bad in my op. PFR could easily also have 88+ and have hero smoked. Only the PFR knows if the bord is good for him or if he wants a free card. And he had position.

So PFR either very far ahead wi8th a higher PP or has 6 live outs to his overcards. Either way it is going to cost hero 2 more big bets to see the showdown and I am not sure it is worth it.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:04 PM

I think y'all are overestimating the times a TAG raises a gaybet on the turn with Ace-high.

Are all of you raising the turn with AK?

Rob
Old 05-06-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:18 PM

AA-99, 6 combos each, 36 combos

AK, AQ, AJ, KQ = 48 combos.

KJs, ATs = 8 more combos

I'll even assume he checks behind QJs, KJo, whatever other random crap he might raise pf.

so, we're ahead of TAG a lot of the time here. who knows what UTG has, perhaps he "called on vivid imagination" as StellarWind once put it. but I estimate we're ahead of him a lot too.

the only problem is, we don't know what his outs are if we ARE ahead, and if we're behind we're drawing dead. but, I'm a big fan of betting while I'm ahead and sorintg things out later
Old 05-06-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think y'all are overestimating the times a TAG raises a gaybet on the turn with Ace-high.

Are all of you raising the turn with AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think i'm ever doing it. Raise to fold out the other hands and take a free showdown UI? Fold to a 3-bet?

-d