Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Bad result good decision just off bubble with AQ?

You are basically saying that AQ is similar in value to AK and QQ?

There are plenty of times where AQ isn't very strong, especially when faced with a raise. I'm sure I'd push AK and QQ here without a second though. But there are only 6 combinations of hands that put AK in bad shape, compared to 24 combinations of hands that have AQ in bad shape. It's pointless to get into a discussion of the depreciation of hand values - it's simple stuff covered in every poker book, and you know all of it.

I hate pushing with AQ because you have too much to lose, not enough to gain. Simple as that. Anyone wanna gamble it up more, no skin off my back.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:20 AM

Consider his open-raise range in the CO 5-handed. Broadway connectors (and one-gappers) and 77+? Maybe any suited connectors 45+? Pushing back will make him fold all but the best.

I don't mind calling and seeing a flop but I can't dismiss a push here that increases Hero's stack by ~20% except for those few times Villain happens to have a monster.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:47 PM

No, my main point was that quotes like the following:

"I push and he folds. Big whoop, I get a few more chips"

are not usually indicitive of someone who's playing the right way. This mindset would often be terrible in a multitable tournament, however in a sit and go it's more reasonable. But still you can't discount 450 chips when you have only 2100. They do matter.

Again I also see nothing wrong with calling here. If you had less chips (around 1500-1700), I think calling would be a mistake, and allin would be easily correct. I believe 2100 chips is kind of in a gray area where calling is okay against most opponents. However if your opponent has been aggressive throughout the event, I feel you should be moving allin.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:54 PM

Call me weak, but, as a matter of policy I make it a rule to play very tight against the big stack unless I have a specific read as they're generally much more likely to make marginal decisions to try and build their stack while busting people out - ie: If I know he's an aggresive stealer who is likely to fold anything but premium hands when played back at. Even then, I really dislike pushing AQ against agression when I'm not in desperation mode.

I don't mind calling here and playing the flop, however I think pushing is way too dangerous and you'd be much better off stealing against the other three 2K stacks. There's just no real reason to be taking coin-flips here. Yeah, you'd love him to call with AJ, but what about TT? Or even KTs? Sure you have a bit of an edge there but I think when you consider all the hands you dominate, plus all the hands which crush you, plus all the coinflips/slight favorites this winds up basically being a coin flip. A coin flip you don't really need.

If you were T1000, then sure, absolutely, push away. Or if this was against one of the other T2000 stacks and he'd been doing some stealing then I'd absolutely play back at him. But doing this against the big stack is way too likely to result in self-destruction.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No way. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked to be called with 55. Your advice in this thread is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you want a coin flip here for all your stack?

Why?

If I do push back here, the hands I want to see calling me are far fewer than the hands I really do not. Particularly if I feel I have any kind of edge against these opponents. If they're all way better than me and I'm going to need to get lucky to win then okay, you have a point. Against typical SNG players you shouldn't need to take such big risks with such small edges.