Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: How long do you play when you\'re not catching cards?

One thing Phil Jackson (one of the best coaches ever, I didnt the THE BEST, I said one of the best) would do is not call a time out when his team was playing poorly. Most coaches call a timeout when the other team goes on a run, to disrupt the momentum. Phil would let make them play through as a team. It worked rather well. So you are just going to have to learn to play through a bad run, because they are a part of poker.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:34 AM

i agree w/ mojo.
there is no set formula (obviously) for when to get up and leave when yorue not getting any good starteers or hitting anything on the flop. and its probably a silly idea to believe in the whole luck thing (although i know we all do from time to time). the best thing to do is just remain patient and wait for your cards. get up and leave when you are getting impatient to the point that you are so pissed that you arent playing and just getting eaten up by the blinds that you are approaching a tilt status, which will be totally detrimental to your game. the short of it, as long as you can keep your cool you should remain at the table (unless, of course, you know for a fact that someone is voodoo dolling you or are making you the target of any other type of hex, curse, or black magic--in that case, get the hell out).
Old 05-06-2005, 10:23 AM

if he didn't have jordan he'd have to take timeouts like everyone else
Old 05-06-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that's what i thought too. i'm a cat-person and my GF isn't so i'll just tell her that i'm right no matter what she thinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a cat person too. But chicken and pork is pretty good in stir-fry too.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:17 PM

I bet when (if) you play live you ask for a wash or a deck change every three hands if you're not catching cards, and keep changing seats, not to get position on a particular player, but to find the "lucky" seat.

This should be obvious to anyone with a sufficient understanding of probability to have a prayer of being a winning poker player, but whether you have been getting good cards or bad cards for the last 5, 10, 20 or 100 hands, has no value in predicting whether you will get good cards for the next 5, 10, 20 or 100 hands. Quitting a table because you are not catching cards, as well as all the crap that I mentioned that people do in live games is superstitious nonsense. It will not add 0.1 BB/100 to your winrate (OTOH it won't hurt it either, but will hurt your BB/hr if it causes you to lose playing time).
Old 05-06-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my cat resents your snide remark.

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed aloud when I read this.

MU HAHAHAHA
Old 05-07-2005, 04:46 PM

I just came across the original picture today...
Link
Old 05-07-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he didn't have jordan he'd have to take timeouts like everyone else

[/ QUOTE ]

He used the same tactics with the Lakers. And he didn't have Jordan on the Lakers.

Sitting through bad cards sucks, but in the long run you are just going to get bad cards no matter what. So if you get up, you have the same chances of getting good and bad cards if you had stayed seated.