Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Party Poker 10+1s and 20+2s ROI

[ QUOTE ]
You should delete this post fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah. The kid wants to play poker for extra income and wanted to get some information and make some extrapolations before he jumped into it. At least he's researching and making plans beforehand. No harm done to anyone. Everyone getting on his case for asking a question should just be more selective about what threads they read. The question is in the title.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:49 AM

Did you see his sample size?

Anyway, for the rest of what he said it looks good. He wants to be able to have a $10/hr job and by 4 tabling the $10's that should be very easy to do. All he has to do is read here and post hands where he wasn't sure what he should do.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:26 AM

I tried to make it clear I was making no deductions from my performance so far. I explicitly said that I expect it to normalize VERY quickly. This is why I was asking what other' ROIs were because I knew my results were simply unrealistic. If I thought my results were realistic I would've never posted in the first place.

It seems everyone thinks I posted because I have a ridicuosly high ROI in a ridiculously small sample size. The reason I posted is exactly because my sample size is so small I cannot deduce anything from it, so I'm asking other peoples experiences at useful sample sizes. I need to make a decision in the next few weeks and simply don't have the time to build a sample size that quickly to make my decision. Others with similiar skill levels and similiar buyins sounds like a good guesstimate to me.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:28 AM

It sounds like you are rushing things something fierce.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:59 AM

More or less.

Also, on a side note, Party's not the only site I've played. I played on Stars recreationally for over 6 months while reading this forum the whole time. The sample I posted was just my recent Party results since I started their SNGs the other day. They are somewhat different than Stars so I wanted numbers from those who played Party. The only reason I even posted my sample was because microbet took a decent guess at it since (I'm guessing) he thought I was just another person who thinks their ridiculous unsustainable ROI means they're God's gift to poker. Through experience, I'd say I'm just confident I'm in the average profitable player category.

I think I'm pretty conservative when it comes to what I think is realistic. Remember I said I was just looking for a 13% ROI at these things and I'd be happy. If I received replies that said 20% is easily attainable by most people who read the forum, my only thought would be "Then I'm confident I can get my 13% ROI". Extra ROI is nice, but I was clear that my only goal was to maintain at a minimum of 13%, not some ridiculous ROI that didn't relate to the rest of my post at all.

I hope that clears everything up.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were Brad again. My deleted post related to the fact that it'll soon be summer, and if I can't get a good internship, I was looking at poker as an alternative to the normal $9/hour job around here. I calculated 4 tabling $10's I'd need around a 13% ROI to match that amount, and alls I want to do is be confident I can match a normal job by doing poker. So I need to make a decision within the next few weeks which is why I'm more or less rushing things and making guesstimates on how likely it is.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:40 AM

Keeping reading the forum and soon you'll be 8tabling $22s for 15%+ ROI.

What to aim for? At the $11s 35-40% and at the $22s maybe high 20s low 30s.

I gotta say my thing though: 8tabling the $22s for 20% ROI is worth $60 an hour. If you hit your 13% (and you will if you are willing to learn) that's worth more than $40. You're $10/hr goal is VERY attainable. So attainable that I think you should set your goals a little higher.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:43 AM

I've only been playing SNG's regularly or seriously since the beginning of this last month, and over my 362 10+1's, I'm around 12%. My sample size is absurdly small, but considering that even a total newbie rank beginner can get around your goal figure for at least a little while, and more importantly that many have stated that a ROI of 20% and more is attainable at the 10's, 13% seems like a modest, attainable goal for a winning player, I would think.

The only problem really is a sample size big enough to let you know if you really are a winning player and not just on a lucky run. I'm not at that point yet myself and won't be for a good while. I'm not sure where you are in that regard, either.

I think your main concern should be bankroll management probably. It's one thing to not make any money, but quite another to hit a bad run and then not only not be bringing in money, but actually losing it. How much you have saved up should probably be a major focal point of your decision.

That would be all the more important if you don't have the numbers to tell you if you're really just on the positive side of variance.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:47 AM

That's good to know. Right now I'm just breaking into 4 tabling. All my previous experience has been 1-2 tabling. 3 tabling I have little problem with, but 4 tabling still has a lot going on for me. Less than 4 tables I tend to I have no problem focussing on the behavior of the players, but 4 tabling feels like I hit the bubble and don't know who's willing to give up their blinds. So much goes on that I feel like I go into robot mode and don't really extract information from the plays that are in front of my face.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Keeping reading the forum and soon you'll be 8tabling $22s for 15%+ ROI.

What to aim for? At the $11s 35-40% and at the $22s maybe high 20s low 30s.

I gotta say my thing though: 8tabling the $22s for 20% ROI is worth $60 an hour. If you hit your 13% (and you will if you are willing to learn) that's worth more than $40. You're $10/hr goal is VERY attainable. So attainable that I think you should set your goals a little higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was figuring an average SNG time length of 45 minutes. Is this way off?

Because by that figure, you'd get in about 10 games per hour 8-tabling, and at the 10+1's that would get you $110 an hour invested, and an 13% ROI would be worth $14.30 an hour. That's like a third of the $40 you are talking about.

Or are you still talking about the 20's, even though you're responding to the fellow talking about the 10's? If you double the $14.30 an hour to $28.60 an hour to account for 20's rather than 10's being the game played, that's still far less than the $40 you're talking about.

Can you please clue me in as to the discrepancy in our figures?
Old 05-03-2005, 04:52 AM

Yeah I've definitely been thinking about this. The good thing is during the summer I don't need to spend that much, so I can keep as much as I need on the site. I just want the amount of money I can withdraw at the end of my poker stint to be equal or greater than the job I would've taken otherwise.

Just one question: have you been multitabling, and if so, how many tables?