FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Too many fish?

Greg, you are a class act.

PG: Welcome to the forums.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:05 PM

Agreed - Good lookin' out, Greg.

Good luck, PG, and welcome to the forums. Don't worry about results, worry about making correct decisions. It may be tough to believe, but you'll learn to love the fish - you'll make a lot more money off of them than you will off of good players.

Keep your head up, and remember 'if chasers never hit, they'd never chase'.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:43 PM

hiya Poker!
I play at Pacific a lot..quite a bit at .25/.50 while I rebuild my bankrole..I understand your frustration.
Ok..so like 300 people chirped in to agree that fish are good.
But is there any adjustment to your play you can make?
At the risk or being skewered here I'll make some suggestions that may not be smart as far as EV etc, but may reduce your frstrations (and your varience)
1. chill on aggression of Top pair when its less than say tens..youll have 4-5 callers and im guessing there combined outs may have you an underdog..[ok math guys..have at it]
2. give up on trying to run people out of hands..think of it as getting more money when they call.ie dont worry bout winning the hand..worry about winning the money
3. (occasionally) in some cases waiting til 4th street to get aggressive. I think there's a section on this in SSHE.
4. when you do flop the nuts..go ahead and bet bet bet..dont slowplay...there's a funny phenomenon at Pacific that if you lead out everyone thinks you are bluffing...and by 4th st someone might just decide to go to war..
[as i wrote this i flopped 955 with 99...led out..and fish capped every round wtih 5xo ..yum]
[also while writing this i flopped 2 pr A9 on a9q rainbow....capped to river by fish 1, called by fish 2..fish 1 has qx, fish 2 has nothing..yum yum]
Have fun!
Brian
Old 04-30-2005, 01:45 AM

I found a 6 max .5/1 table at UB where my 25% VP$IP dragged the table down to 75% It a night of wild swings.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:29 PM

Okay, played last night at the same .25/.50.

I'm up $30 on 2 hrs of play. One hand in particular, I had AK, flop came AKJ.... capped the betting around with one that had a pair of 3's and took it to the river.

Just watching those flush draws a lot more. One guy was calling a 3 bet with 95 suited and actually won the pot with his flush.

Later.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:44 PM

Mhh, I like the pacific 0.25/0.5 alot. I played them at 24BB/100 the 1000 hands I played there.
Pretty beatable, just handle the beats and value-bet whenever you can. You put down 12BB pots with top pair no kicker there...
Old 05-01-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the strategy when almost everyone chases to river

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, some others tried to answer the question! That's novel here. I will too.

1. Every bet is a value bet. Don't even think about trying to get incorrect folds. Don't miss a value bet trying to be tricky.

2. Lose the offsuit broadways. Even AK and AQ (pretty much the only offsuit hands you should be playing) aren't that thrilling in this game, and hands like KJo are death.

3. Play every pair, every suited ace, every suited broadway, and most suited connectors regardless of position. Play Kxs and medium suited gappers late. Coldcall two with them, unless it's a weird hand where you get a raise and a bunch of folds. Don't usually coldcall three, though.

4. Realize that absolute position means very little in a superloose game. Loosen up early, and never be afraid to value bet.

5. Don't overvalue one and two pair hands. One pair wins very rarely in superloose games, and two pair not all that much more. You're looking to make full houses and nut and near-nut flushes and straights. You'll get paid off royally when you make them.

6. Remember it's a drawing game. Draw better than they do, and you'll come out ahead.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:55 PM

Thanks...

Playing these tables differently now...

It was just a phenom I wasn't used to. I've played at PokerRoom, Empire, WSEX, with no issues... up at each site.

Plus, in the past I was surfing the net, reading a book or watching TV while playing or a multiple of these.