Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: AJo in MP1

<blind>

Raise PF, Bet Flop.

Having that flop checked around with TPGK sucks. You are giving the club flush draws a free ride.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:57 PM

Thanks for helping me plug a leak [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 05:01 PM

I think it's unfortunate that PokerStars hid your raise and bet buttons until the turn. Better luck on that next time.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:03 PM

Haven't seen the other responses yet.

You are playing this way too passively, AJ is a premium hand and you should play it much more aggressively. You are letting 2 people who have already put money in see the flop for free and 1 for half price. This is a raise preflop every time.

Flop: Top pair is a strong hand, but not that strong. By checking this through you are giving flush draws and straight draws a free shot to beat you. 52o is now beating you when they shouldn't even see the flop in the first place. And anyone with 2 diamonds or 2 clubs is likely seeing the river now. You should be betting and raising here.

Turn and river would be much different and you can bet pretty freely as long as you don't run into too much aggression.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:12 PM

You'd better be glad I'm having a beer with dinner right now. Otherwise I'd be far less mellow in my analysis.

Raise preflop. Bet the flop. Top pair is not a slowplaying hand. Ever.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:12 PM

Bad.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:14 PM

To more directly address your question:

[ QUOTE ]
when do I wait for the turn to protect my hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

This play is rarely correct. Moreover when it is incorrect, it is very incorrect.

First of all, you don't wait for the turn to put the first bet in - at least, not to protect. You might under very restricted circumstances wait until the turn to raise, but never to put the first bet in. Second, you have great position here. Everybody has checked to you. You have no reason to think your hand isn't best. You will win this pot so often compared to the number of people in the hand (that is to say, your equity edge is so high) that it is a catastrophe to not bet here. Third, since the wait-for-turn play is a raise play, the pot must be very large in order for this to make sense. It must be so large that facing opponents with 2:X on the flop actually gives them favorable odds. That's a big pot indeed. Also, it must not be so large that waiting for the turn still doesn't protect your hand. For example, if the pot is 40 SB on the flop, waiting for the turn won't do any good since your raise there will offer better than 1:10.

In short, if you use the wait-for-turn play more often than almost never, you use it too much. If you leave it out of your game completely for now, you will lose less than if you use it at the wrong times.

Edit for clarity.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:18 PM

Nicely said bro
Old 04-28-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In short, if you use the wait-for-turn play more often than almost never, you use it too much. If you leave it out of your game completely for now, you will lose less than if you use it at the wrong times

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm beginning to learn this [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I think this is a case (for me) of trying to apply too many new things without really understanding the concepts and/or not really paying attention to the situation in whole. Thanks for the feedback
Old 04-28-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a case (for me) of trying to apply too many new things without really understanding the concepts and/or not really paying attention to the situation in whole.

[/ QUOTE ]

Common problems. I had the same problems when I was first learning too. Part of it is Fancy Play Syndrome (FPS), which you would do well to jetison immediately. Just play ABC poker. That's +EV poker.