Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Slowplayed queens, how\'d I do?

I have to chime in with the majority. Slowplaying is not correct here. Even if MP1 is a chronic bluffer, there is still the BB calling down. In this case there are too many cards that can beat you, or give them decent draws.

IMO slowplaying should be reserved for when your hand is very strong, the pot is small, the bet is to your right, and you want someone to catch up (either to a weaker made hand, or an unprofitable draw). Here there are 6.5SB in the pot, you have an overpair to a semi-coordinated board, and no redraws. Even ignoring Mr. Bluff, if the BB is on a straight or flush draw (or heck, even something like K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ), by just calling you are laying him 8.5 - 1 which makes it correct for him to call. You need to raise to get him out (or make his call incorrect).

By inducing Mr. Bluff to do just that, you are ensuring that the BB can correctly call on quite a few draws.

At least that is my take on it. (for whatever that's worth) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2005, 10:40 AM

I keep betting with a two suited flop.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:39 AM

I am taking Grunch's challenge and reviewing hands blind.

Preflop is standard.
Postflop is just plain horrible. You have 1 pair with both a flush and a straight possibility on the board. Please, Please, Please raise.
Turn is the perfect example of why the postflop was so bad. Now look what you have gotten yourself into. Anyone with a T, two diamonds, two spades, a jack, a medium pocket pair has a good reason to stay around. Yet you still need to raise the turn if for nothing more than information.
River: Now you are screwed. Calling is the only correct action with the overcard now on the table.

Good Luck.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:42 AM

Raise the flop immediately. The pot isn't large enough that you need to wait for the turn to protect.

Raise-bet-bet.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:51 AM

<grunch>

Looks to me like you left a bit of money on the table. Way too passive.

</grunch>
Old 04-26-2005, 01:34 PM

Since MP1 bluffs alot, I like your line if it was HU, then I'd raise the river to a blank. Always let bluffers bluff you as much as they want when HU.
But, you should raise the flop here to get HU and not let BB draw cheaply! You could call the flop, but then you MUST raise the turn when BB is still in the hand. You should only do this when the pot is so big that BB can call profitably for two small bets but not two big.
Calling down with BB still in the hand is not good.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure one could say that it's -EV to slowplay a pair 99.999% of the time. Maybe even 100%?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very very wrong. If this was HU against a habitual bluffer, it is positive EV to just call down and raise the river. Especially with a high pair such as kings or aces, queens are borderline. I wouldnt like it with jacks.