Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2003, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Tupacs Influence

"I agree about Tupac being influential, and one of the 4 most important rappers of all time."

One of the 4 most important rappers?

*Laugh*

Who else can even be put in the same catagory?
There are definately some other VERY important rappers of all time, but Pac has clearly distanced himself from the pack. He's so far ahead that he probably cant even see them if he was "staring at the world through his rearview."
Ryan_21

Old 11-14-2003, 03:08 AM

THE BEST RAP GROUP EVER TEAM ALLIANCE CHECK THEM OUT AT TEAMALLIANCE.NET....WANT SOME MORE OF THEIR SONGS HIT ME UP ON AIM AT AMONDEL1. oh yeah sorry for caps but I wanna get my point across!
Old 11-14-2003, 03:14 AM

Jimbo, I know you dont post on here anymore but I couldnt resist.

"As far as him being "one of the most influencial black men or any color man of the 20th century." I find this a bit of a stretch but perhaps in relation to a small group of todays' youth I can see that. For you to campare his accomplishments(?) with the likes of Henry Kissinger, past US presidents, numerous other world leaders or even the Beatles for that matter is taking this Tupac thing way to far."

Well, I hope you catch the movie that drops today. As far as your assumption, Pac is the Malcom X and MLK of the hip hop Generation, furthermore, he is the top selling rap artist of all time w/ 35 million albums sold and counting, and the amount of albums sold after his untimely death clearly puts him into Icon status and thus, not taking it to far.

Ryan_21

Old 11-14-2003, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pac is the Malcom X and MLK of the hip hop Generation

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't really seem to have a good grasp over how these three people's accomplishments impact people's lives and history. Using your own list, there doesn't seem to be anything of importance that Tupac accomplished.

1. Creating thugs/thuglife? Is this good? Is this a positive influence on his generation?

2. Fashion. Big deal.

3. Fashion, again.

3(#2). More fashion.

4. Yet more fashion.

5. Is ebonics something to be proud of?

6. More unimpressive contributions to language.

7. Talking about drugs? This is a serious contribution to your generation?

8. I won't insult the dead.

9. He said where he was from? Astonishing.

10. Had to end the list with yet another fashion statement.

Almost half the list are fashion statements. The rest aren't any more important. You compared Tupac to people like Elvis Presley and James Dean. That seems at list within the realm of possibility. But, why in the world would you compare them to MLK and Malcom X? I don't remember ever reading about how Elvis Presley was as important and influencial as Abraham Lincoln. Or how James Deans accomplishments rival those of George Washington.

[ QUOTE ]
furthermore, he is the top selling rap artist of all time w/ 35 million albums sold and counting

[/ QUOTE ]

And Harrison Ford has starred in well over a dozen films which have made $100 million. It doesn't make him the next Franklin Roosevelt.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:35 AM

Without Afrika Bambaataa, Grandmaster Flash or Grandmaster Caz, Tupac is just a kid in Marin City

Without LL, Fresh Prince or Run DMC, there is no mainstream audience for Tupac (and he's still in the Marin City projects, folks)

Without NWA, Easy E, Too Short, and Ice T, there is no market for gangsta rap, and, again, our man is stuck in Marin City.

(BTW, does he ever claim Marin City in any of his raps? that's where he's really from)
Old 11-14-2003, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What other rapper has his own big screen movie?

[/ QUOTE ]
Eminem
Fat Boys (look ma, no 'Z')
Kurtis Blow/Fat Boys/Run DMC

Not exactly Academy quality here, but you did ask, and they did make the silver screen
Old 11-14-2003, 02:05 PM

Actually he was from Baltimore before Marin City and Brooklyn before that.

And yes, without the guys you mentioned there would be no Tupac, but just because they were first does not mean they are the biggest and/or best.

Look at it like this, the NBA sucks today b/c MJ's shoes are too big to fill and nobody has even come close....the same reason why the rap game sucks today too. Pac's shoes are just to big to fill.

The reason he is so important is b/c he made people care about his life and he made people of all shapes, sizes, colors and backgrounds relate to him. Im sorry but nobody cares about LL cool J's and Grandmaster Flash's lives and not many people can relate to Eazy E and, Ice T.

Ryan_21
Old 11-14-2003, 02:09 PM

"Fat Boys (look ma, no 'Z')
Kurtis Blow/Fat Boys/Run DMC

Not exactly Academy quality here, but you did ask, and they did make the silver screen"

Exactly.

And Im talking about a big screen movie that personifies their life. Eminems movie wasnt about Eminem, it was about a character named Rabbit.

Ryan_21
Old 11-14-2003, 02:21 PM

Im sorry but you're wrong here, Tupac was an activist before he was a rapper and a star. His mother was a leader of the Panthers. Pac was the President of the Junior Black Panthers and the "chosen one to take over the Panther movement when he was old enough" Furthermore, Tupac's music has more of a social concsience than probably any other rapper, he basically preached through his music, and his music has probably reached more people than Malcom X and MLK did combined.

"there doesn't seem to be anything of importance that Tupac accomplished."

"And Harrison Ford has starred in well over a dozen films which have made $100 million."

Tupac was Important because he made people care about his life and he made people of all shapes, sizes, colors and backgrounds relate to him.

Nobody cares about Harrison Fords personal life and no 18 year old chinese single mother on welfare can relate to him. Thats the difference, everyone can relate to Pac, rich, poor, black, white, russian, mexican, chinese, old, young, middle age, male, female.

Ryan_21

Old 11-14-2003, 02:30 PM

Default Also.

"there doesn't seem to be anything of importance that Tupac accomplished."

You do realize that they are and have been teaching classes about Tupac at Harvard and Cal Berkley for quite a few years. The man has his own ideaology. That alone speaks volumes about his importance.

I dont see them teaching any classes at Ivy League University or any other institutions of higher learning about people like Harrison Ford, LL Cool J, Grandmaster Flash, Ice Cube, or Run DMC. Why? Because those guys were just rappers and/or entertainers Tupac was a Revolutionary that was so important that it is beyond comprehension, people probably wont begin to "fully" understand how important he was for at least 20 more years.

Ryan_21