Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Re: \"Trip Report\" - $200 + Rebuys at the Bike win ($25000)

[ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how you all were so upset. Just bust him and then make a deal... why did you guys feel the need to berate him?

[/ QUOTE ]

No one wanted to win 4th-9th place money when they were guaranteed 3rd. *shrug*

Wouldn't you hold a bit of resentment to someone who, while short-stacked and almost certain to go out in the next couple of people, would possibly cause you a big loss? $1800 vs $10000-20000? Think about those numbers for a bit, that's quite a big spread.

I didn't expunge any vitriol at the drunk, but I certainly didn't disagree with those who were harassing him a bit.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one digusted that he gave the 10th place finisher 10k?

[/ QUOTE ]

He gave him 2k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I meant 2k. I'm still disgusted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps it wasn't the wisest thing to do, but it creeps me out more than a little bit that spontaneous generosity & kindness *digust* you.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:09 PM

Congrats. I'm not an expert on taxes, but I've had some nice wins via chops and my accountant insists that the fact that you get the tax form from the government for the full amount does not at all mean that you have to pay the taxes on that amount. You simply need to itemize your direct expenses (buy-ins, payouts to others, etc.) when doing your taxes. He insisted to me that this is done all the time and is very standard. When doing a deal it's also probably a good idea to get as much info about the person you are paying off as possible -- if you can get this.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:55 PM

Can I have $2K? I took a bad beat last night. C'mon, what goes around comes around.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:36 PM

That's completly ridiculous. I made it to the final six in a Sunday Tourney on Stars where everyone wanted to deal and I would have ended up with about 35,000 and ended up sixth for 15000 because one person didn't deal. I wasn't happy he didn't want to deal but that is totally his perogative and he shouldn't be berated or hasseled in any way. Dealing is totally up to the individual. You and the rest of the table acted in a discustingly inappropriate manner. And the guy that said he hopes he has a heart attack is subhuman at best. What a complete and utter bastard that guy was.

While I wouldn't otherwise think it was wrong to give the 10 place finisher 2000 out of my own pocket (even though I wouldn't do it), I DO however think it's gross to give even a dollar to someone that would wish death on another human being because he wouldn't make a deal in a poker tournament.

Unreal that you thought that was acceptable. I wish you didn't win anything after hearing that stance.

Peace

Goodie
Old 04-27-2005, 09:49 PM

Can't fault the guy for not dealing. I would be damn tempted not to deal in that situation. But at the same time I've never played a game of poker where the winner got a life altering amount of money.

I play because I want to win. The money's nice, but if I win it just means I can play for higher stakes and at a higher level next time. The difference between 1st and 2nd can be substantial.....let alone between the deal money and 1.8k. But if you're going to be so incensed and angry by somebody because they want to play out the game that you all sat down to play, then maybe the game is beyond your bankroll/comfort level.

If the table requires the insurance associated with getting more than 10th place payout, then they should be willing to pay for it. Bargain to give the guy extra. He wanted to play, the rest wanted insurance. Give him a premium. And if he was drunk then waiting for him to burn out to make the deal should have had edge worth the risk to begin with.

A little generosity never hurt anybody. Just ask yourself, "would he have done the same for me?"

my $.02
Gavin (not 2005)
Old 04-28-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I DO however think it's gross to give even a dollar to someone that would wish death on another human being because he wouldn't make a deal in a poker tournament...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was more of a heat of the moment thing, but in retrospect I certainly wouldn't do it again. My personality spurs me to instinctively defuse situations, and I didn't honestly put a lot of thought into it.

Lessons learned.. Perhaps others can learn from my mistakes.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's completly ridiculous. I made it to the final six in a Sunday Tourney on Stars where everyone wanted to deal and I would have ended up with about 35,000 and ended up sixth for 15000 because one person didn't deal. I wasn't happy he didn't want to deal but that is totally his perogative and he shouldn't be berated or hasseled in any way. Dealing is totally up to the individual. You and the rest of the table acted in a discustingly inappropriate manner. And the guy that said he hopes he has a heart attack is subhuman at best. What a complete and utter bastard that guy was.

While I wouldn't otherwise think it was wrong to give the 10 place finisher 2000 out of my own pocket (even though I wouldn't do it), I DO however think it's gross to give even a dollar to someone that would wish death on another human being because he wouldn't make a deal in a poker tournament.

Unreal that you thought that was acceptable. I wish you didn't win anything after hearing that stance.

Peace

Goodie

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more. nh.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Peace

Goodie

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.

congrats to OP anyway though.