Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: AQo and my head is spinning.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The money you can make up postflop in situations where you didn't cap is often enough to make not capping, at the very worst, a small error, and this is with AKo

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Do a pokerstove simulation with a possible range of hands for the limpers and this aggressive overlimpreraiser who could have ANYTHING and see what equity you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Showdown Equity w/AKo != Expected Value. Andrew has said this many times before with regards to the utility of pokerstove in such simulations.

I'm not saying that you don't lose money. You do. However, depending on your table and situation, you can often make up this money later in a way that would not have been possible had you capped preflop.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's some chance you'll get someone to fold it's worth a cap.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:26 AM

I just think you are vastly underestimating the equity edge you have with AKo against this sort of limp reraisor in a 5 way pot. Either that or overestimating the additional money you could make postflop by simply calling the 3bet.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The money you can make up postflop in situations where you didn't cap is often enough to make not capping, at the very worst, a small error, and this is with AKo

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Do a pokerstove simulation with a possible range of hands for the limpers and this aggressive overlimpreraiser who could have ANYTHING and see what equity you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I came up with 27.8% equity, FWIW. This is against LRR'er, one random hand, and two reasonable ranges of limping hands for a $3/6 limper who is too loose.

Both AKs (duh) and AQs have more. AJs also has slightly more.

So is not capping with AJs here also a huge error? What about 99 (30%), which is also higher than AKo, in terms of hot-or-cold equity (which is what you're basing this argument off of)?

Rob
Old 04-22-2005, 02:33 AM

I would have capped with all of the above. I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] variance.

-DeathDonkey
Old 04-22-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have capped with all of the above. I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] variance.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I would cap with AKo for sure, as I would AQs and probably AJs. But when you are DD, everyone but one person will fold to the flop bet and then that last soul will fold to the turn bet so you should cap any 2 cards in this spot. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Showdown Equity w/AKo != Expected Value. Andrew has said this many times before with regards to the utility of pokerstove in such simulations.

I'm not saying that you don't lose money. You do. However, depending on your table and situation, you can often make up this money later in a way that would not have been possible had you capped preflop.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's some chance you'll get someone to fold it's worth a cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold, as in pre-flop? I think it's going to be easier to get folds in a smaller pot postflop than a ginormous pot preflop.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:39 AM

A couple points. One is that I'd guess the relative equities of AJs, AKo, 99etc. depend significantly on the ranges of hands you assign the other players. Second, I think that 99 is significantly more difficult to play postfop than AK, AQ, etc. I would probably not cap that, but I would cap AJs.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple points. One is that I'd guess the relative equities of AJs, AKo, 99etc. depend significantly on the ranges of hands you assign the other players. Second, I think that 99 is significantly more difficult to play postfop than AK, AQ, etc. I would probably not cap that, but I would cap AJs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think any pair is going to be easier to play postflop than any non-pair.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But when you are DD, everyone but one person will fold to the flop bet and then that last soul will fold to the turn bet so you should cap any 2 cards in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should always be factored into your preflop decision making. Also, try to play with retards, it helps.

-DeathDonkey
Old 04-22-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Fold, as in pre-flop? I think it's going to be easier to get folds in a smaller pot postflop than a ginormous pot preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pot is already gigantic. The hands that will fold postflop are not the hands you want to fold. It will mean they've completely missed the flop. Getting hands to fold preflop and thus giving you a lot of dead money is hugely +EV.