Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: WPT Championship Event hand

can you give names of players in the hand?

Gavin
Old 04-21-2005, 06:23 PM

I think it's very likely that he has KQ as well. This is a very close call, and one that I would likely make in the interest of stack building. You will see AK there too many times to warrant a fold, IMO. You really have to bet the flop in that spot, though. It changes the whole dynamic of the turn...if you get there.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:08 PM

I'm strongly of the opinion that a set is unlikely assuming the button is a decent player. He doesn't have KK or QQ- just calling twice preflop would be bizarre, and we have a K and a Q in our hand. It was also be really bizarre for 55 or 66 to check the flop, because with stacks this deep I really think a set would need to build a pot. The fact that you are the button disguises the strength of your bet.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:41 PM

does anyone dislike the turn raise, given the depth?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm strongly of the opinion that a set is unlikely assuming the button is a decent player. He doesn't have KK or QQ- just calling twice preflop would be bizarre, and we have a K and a Q in our hand. It was also be really bizarre for 55 or 66 to check the flop, because with stacks this deep I really think a set would need to build a pot. The fact that you are the button disguises the strength of your bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 55 or 66 are actually very likely. With many limpers why raise? You see the flop cheap and if you hit your set you can really get paid off big for it. If you raise you will either get re-raised or likely get called by at least one player. Since you'll most likely have to give up your hand on the flop if you don't hit your set, why not just see a cheap flop?

Since there aren't many likely draws on the flop I can also see checking it hoping for a bet on the turn where I can re-raise strong assuming a third straight card doesn't come off. I really think 55 or 66 are very, very possible. That's not to say I wouldn't call the bet if I had KQ. It would really depend on the read of the player making the bet. If he was a very aggressive player I might consider calling. If he was fairly tight or unknown I would probably have to give him credit for a set given the circumstances. BTW, this is one reason that it can be so profitable to have a loose/aggressive table image. When you have big hands you can bet strong and people think you're bluffing. The tight player doesn't get paid off nearly as much.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think 55 or 66 are actually very likely. With many limpers why raise? You see the flop cheap and if you hit your set you can really get paid off big for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 55 and 66 are unlikely due to the flop play, not the preflop play. Checking that flop last to act with a set is a very large mistake in my opinion.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's very likely that he has KQ as well. This is a very close call, and one that I would likely make in the interest of stack building. You will see AK there too many times to warrant a fold, IMO. You really have to bet the flop in that spot, though. It changes the whole dynamic of the turn...if you get there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this a very wierd way to play AK. I could see limping preflop. But it seems like AK has to bet this flop. Like Paluka says, betting from the button hides the strength of this. Once the turn comes, i really can't see AK pushing with stacks this deep. From the buttons perspective what hands is hero raising here? KJ? IF button is decent, i can not see him pushing AK.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:29 PM

Judging from the way the button played the hand ,I can't give him a hand that beats me now,however he can have some draws that I do not mind gambling against.

He could make this play with a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Qx?

I feel confident in this spot I would call and catch a bluff, or a semi bluff type hand.

If he had a real hand, you would have heard from him at some point. I go with a call.

Take this advice with a grain of salt, I have never played in a 25K event.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:31 PM

If the button had a set, why didnt he make a probe bet on the flop?

Better yet, why would he kill his action on the turn after failing to bet the flop.

I see an inconsistency in betting patterns here.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:32 PM

no way.