Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: call down with JJ?

It all depends on his range, IMO.

If he is a AA-TT + AK kinda guy, then you are about a 56/44 dog, so you lose a tad on the cap.

Also, a cap doesnt tend to over represent your hand with the intention of making your opponent make a bad fold.

For example, if you 3-bet 55, over representing your hand, you might induce a solid to fold AJ on the flop (fear of having only 3 outs, when in fact he has 6).

But, this isnt going to happen a lot here, as AA-TT + AK is going to showdown a lot at this limit.

But, if his range is a little looser, you can cap for value.

Also.... if the pot is 3+ handed, things change big time. Put one calling hand in there (especially if he is loose) and I would be capping here.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:10 AM

Personally, pre-flop, heads-up and out of position against a reasonable three-bettor, I don't like to cap with anything. Am I the only one who plays this way?

The advantage of this is you can usually figure out where he is after the flop, but he doesn't know where you are.

This doesn't work well against people who 3-bet with a wider range of holdings, and it's pointless against people who can't find the fold button post-flop. But in general, I find it to be a useful tactic in SS games where 3-betting is rare.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:12 AM

I wouldn't given up so easily on the flop against those numbers. But if the flop is capped, I would call down UI.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm never sure to cap JJ or not when I raise and its 3 bet to me. I too would like some more expierienced players to elaborate on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

At 2/4, capping a 3-bet heads-up with JJ is marginal, in my opinion.

It does (somewhat) help you play the rest of the hand more easily, but you're often a slight favorite or a huge dog going into the flop.

And, actually, what I sometimes used to do at 2/4 with JJ versus a preflop 3-bet when I didn't have a very reliable read -- which was to call the 3-bet and then start check-calling postflop (so long as there was no ace on the board) -- is okay too, I think.

It feels like a very timid way to play JJ, but, against an unknown, a preflop 3-bet at 2/4 is often going to be a very big hand.

There are those who will 3-bet with A6s or 33 too, of course, so it helps to have some idea who you're up against.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:15 AM

Also, after reading the discussion, I would not doubt my PF cap against a 40/11. A positional 3-bet from these numbers has a wide range of hands.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And, actually, what I sometimes used to do at 2/4 with JJ versus a preflop 3-bet when I didn't have a very reliable read -- which was to call the 3-bet and then start check-calling postflop (so long as there was no ace on the board) -- is okay too, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it comes down to how respectable of a player this guy is. At 2/4 and 3/6, I don't respect many 40/11s, even if it's only after 27 hands.

I agree with taking this line against a tighter player, but don't you think you're missing out on a lot of value given all the dynamics of this specific hand?
Old 04-21-2005, 12:18 AM

27 hands
Old 04-21-2005, 12:19 AM

And I don't consider an open raise from MP1 and a 3-bet from MP2 to be particularly isolating or a wide 3-betting range. An open raise from the CO and a 3-bet from the Button, yes. But here, no.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:31 AM

Granted, but 40% is 1.5 times the average players VP$P and twice that of a tight player, no? I don't rely on PT heavily, but this one feels like a dead give-away to me.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:33 AM

With the exception of more possible (re)steal situations, I don't think there's a noticable difference. A 3-bet folds a lot of hands, whether it's the blinds or 4 players behind it.