Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: i can see his cards

[ QUOTE ]
All that being said call and see a flop assuming stacks are fairly deep you have a great chance to make alot more money of this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stacks were not deep. Blinds were 3k/6k and we each had about 55k. Moving in was probably the only play. And yeah, I'd have done that anyway. I like your "depends on the person" criteria. That works for me.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:25 PM

Personally I'd say "watch your cards" or something. I'd just rather win with only seeing my hole cards and not what others have.

This is very different from tells.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All that being said call and see a flop assuming stacks are fairly deep you have a great chance to make alot more money of this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stacks were not deep. Blinds were 3k/6k and we each had about 55k. Moving in was probably the only play. And yeah, I'd have done that anyway. I like your "depends on the person" criteria. That works for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

you still see the flop. You WILL know if you can call his AI bluff. This is an obvious chance to easily absorb a stack. You blew it. Failed as a decent human being, failed as a poker player. I hope you work on the first before the second. But I guess that depends on your priorities.

CSC
Old 04-21-2005, 01:06 AM

I smooth call here, you're in position so you'll be able to pick off a bluff by him if he misses, or if he hits and you dont, easily fold, without worrying about giving a free card.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

you still see the flop. You WILL know if you can call his AI bluff. This is an obvious chance to easily absorb a stack. You blew it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think is so straightforward. Say he'll fold every time if you push over the top, which is what the OP assumed. Then pushing nets you +26K - your BB, and his chips. Now calling costs you 14K. He's going to hit on the flop basically 33% of the time, and of those you're going to hit as well about 25% of the time. So, factoring that in, 25% of the time you're going to have to fold and eat 14K. Now let's say he has two approaches the remaining 75% of the time: bluff on the flop, or put no more money in for the rest of the hand. Let's make the bad assumption that if he bluffs, you win 100% of the time. How often would he need to bluff there before you make profit? We'll follow the original poster and assume he has another 35k behind.

.25 * -14 + .75 (x * 61 + (1 - x) * 26) is your expected value, given this model, where x is the percentage of the time that he bluffs. It works out that he needs to bluff somewhere near 39% of the time that the flop misses him to make it profitable. (EDIT: To make it clear, I mean profitable relative to taking the pot away PF.) However, as soon as one stops assuming the bluff always loses, the percentage will increase substantially, because you stand to lose a lot if you do lose after calling the bluff. I'm guessing you'd probably want to be at least 50% sure he was bluffing to make up for this because you're busted if you get unlucky, so you probably want a substantially higher chip edge to make up for it.

So, if you're confident that he'll bluff if the flop misses him, then go ahead and see the flop. If you're unsure and don't really have a good idea, bet now and take it away.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:43 AM

I wouldn't say a word.
By sitting at the table, this player is trying to take my money.
I am trying to take his.
If I win his money by playing good poker, well then great.
If I win his money because he isn't covering his cards, well even better, makes my job that much easier.

By sitting at a poker table, it is up to you to understand all of the rules and how to protect yourself.
Since this player was unaware of how to protect his cards, then he simply should not have been sitting at that table.

It's his own fault, I won't tell him how to play smarter, and it does NOT make me a bad person.
I am not responsible for how another person chooses to play his cards, knowingly or not.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:01 AM

call. if he hits the flop as low pair, then tell him you can see his 52o and push.

not b/c i at all think this is ethical or good karma or anything (i'm not even sure it's allowed everywhere), i'd just love to see his face as he tries to decide what to do. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2005, 07:22 AM

Default Re: i can see his cards TO CARD SHARP COOK

The word you are looking for is INTEGRITY. Some of us have and some dont.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: i can see his cards TO CARD SHARP COOK

I got one for you. Live NL ring hand on the river when a 3rd club fell, I have top pair weak kicker, $95 in the pot, 3 players in I'm last to act. First player pushes for his last $100, 2nd player folds, I'm about to follow suit when all-in player inadvertantly flashes me his cards. OMG I know my top pair is good.

Mr. Integrity, do you still fold and let him have it even though you know you are good?

-sloth
Old 04-21-2005, 09:35 AM

Tells are conceivably visible to the entire table - it's up to the individual player to interpret them correctly.

Your opponent's hole cards, however, are visible only to you (and him) - thereby giving you an unfair advantage.