Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Trapped while drawing to the nuts...

[ QUOTE ]
I do think this raise(pre-flop or flop) does have value, although in this instance I think it would have just gotten you checkraised. Most of the time however your not gonna be against two opponents who apparently flopped the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

My comment pertained to preflop only. I think that the flop raise is pretty standard.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:54 AM

Another advantage is deception. Make a marginal PFR with an ace and you are likely to improve your opponents' postflop play. They assume you have an ace or a decent pocket pair and they're right.

But raise preflop with JTs and this type of reasoning will work against your opponents. Now you may make extra money postflop.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another advantage is deception. Make a marginal PFR with an ace and you are likely to improve your opponents' postflop play. They assume you have an ace or a decent pocket pair and they're right.

But raise preflop with JTs and this type of reasoning will work against your opponents. Now you may make extra money postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This works both ways in the low limit live games. It can create a tremendous amount of action for you once you show that you are willing to raise with "hands fish consider sub-par" because they will not believe you and pay you off when you do have a good hand.

But there is a flip side and that is when it is a tight-weak-passive table, a tight table image of someone who only bets when they have the nuts allows you to steal pots.

I guess as with everything in poker, it depends on table image, table texture, opponent classifications, current card run, etc. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]