Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 05:01 AM

Default Hello,NYplayer! If ur girlfriend can\'t take ur mind offf..

poker,try finding another girlfriend. The one u have is not helping u. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
SittingBull
Old 04-21-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: leaving poker at the table

[ QUOTE ]
I do play 4-6 hours a day every day. I am looking for strategies on how to clear my mind and help me lead a normal life away from the table instead of fixating on poker thoughts when i'm at the gym or dinner with my girlfriend or trying to fall asleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what?
There is something missing from this post. Why is this a problem? Adolescent males think about sex when are working out or eating or trying to fall asleep too. As long as they don't start molesting pastry this isnt in and of itself a problem.

Are you unable to sleep because your thinking about poker? Can you not focus on anything your girlfreind is saying? Are you just sick and tired of poker or what?

Your just not specifying how poker thoughts are preventing you from having a normal life, it sounds like you have a pretty normal life. I'm not getting it.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, the best poker players I know think about poker constantly away from the table. That's not to say that you can't be a pro and have a life, but you should realize poker will be a huge part of it. You are always going to want to improve, which means thinking about hands you played, reading/posting here, studying, talking to others about the game, etc. I'm not a pro (but do play for a significant amount of my income). I think about poker almost 24-7. But I still make myself do other things so my life has balance (go out to bars, movies, see family, etc.).

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Great insight.
I very much agree with this.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:09 AM

Maybe you should just try taking a poker vacation? I'm not saying play less each week... but maybe just take a week off. It might really clear your mind.

it's important to take vacations regardless of your occupation.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
males think about sex when are working out or eating or trying to fall asleep too. As long as they don't start molesting pastry this isnt in and of itself a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just made a little correction to your post there.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:35 PM

Do you have a set schedule? I.E., you play from noon to 6 every day? If not, you should think about setting yourself up with a regular work schedule, especially if poker is your only "job".

I agree wholeheartedly that you need to give yourself days off every now and then. Not necessarily 2-3 days per week, but at least a day or two every now and again.

Since I took up poker I focus on the game almost constantly, but that hasn't been a problem for me so far. I do still work a day job which helps, and I do force myself to stay away from the tables at least one day every 2 weeks. Even though I end up spending a decent amount of that time reading poker books and/or this forum. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2005, 01:43 AM

time off is only way to get it out of your head. How can you expect your brain to get rid of poker if your playing 4-6 hours a day???
Old 04-26-2005, 11:51 AM

I dunno, I have a job which I never ever think about unless I'm getting paid to, and I do that for ~8 hours a day. not sure why poker has to be any different.

--turnipmonster
Old 04-26-2005, 05:26 PM

I'm a small business owner and when we were starting up the business was constantly on my mind. I was seeing doctor's for stomach troubles. I was 21 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It's a few years later and I'm fine. What worked for me was segmenting my days and weeks. I'd always work or deal with work related issues for certain hours of every M-F and between 10PM and 2AM I would never work unless there was an emergency. I also picked one day every week (Sat or Sun) that was absolutely work for, again barring emergencies. When work thoughts inevitably crept in, I told myself there would be plenty of time for that 9:00 o'clock the next morning.
It takes some time to train your brain but it is achievable.

Your brain is trying to make you a better player. Discipline yourself to have some time of absolutely no poker and you will be capable of being happier.

Oh, I took exactly one vacation longer than a 3-day weekend in the first five years after I started the company. Proves I was quite lame and proves a long stretch off isn't necessarily necessary to clear your head.

topout
Old 04-27-2005, 06:46 AM

I was having a lot of stress at the office and it was affecting my personal life so I know how you are feeling. I finally solved the problem by using a little imagery.

When I was getting up from my desk at the end of the day I would take my "worries" and imagine putting them in a drawer and closing it before I left my office for the day.

Sounds silly but it worked for me.