Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: won WSOP seat on party....need advice

These are more general comments, since I believe advice like "Play Sklansky's system" is entirely useless in this context...

First, how did you win your seat? If you won it through the Steps progression, that's great, but entirely useless in terms of preparation.

Second, if you have never put down big (as that term is relative to you) $$ on a tournament, you would be wise to do so a few times if you hope to have ANY comfort level in a tournament like the WSOP.

The guys who play 3 or 4 high buy-in tournaments a month or more are going to have a monumental advantage over you (regardless of relative skill) merely because you will be taking your "one in a million shot" while they know their next tourney is only a few days away. Anything you can do to ameliorate the anchor effect of not wanting to go bust will be a positive.

Play live A LOT between now and then. The action at a live tournament table can be brutally fast or agonizingly slow and you have to be able to stay focused at either speed. If you have to hunker down and think through a decision, you have to be comfortable enough to sit there and do that analysis without any concern for what the other players at the table are doing or thinking while you hold up the play. Do not assume there is pressue when none exists.

Lastly, go with that which brung ya. If you won a MTT for this seat, don't try and adopt a new style of play in the next 45 days. Play YOUR game, pray for cards, and be prepared for that moment when they seat the chip leader to your immediate left.

GL and Congrats on the seat.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:22 PM

Jax, thanks for advice...I did win through steps (initially $9). Also I have not played big MTT where I paid big $ to enter..I can see where that would be of use...(not only for experience, but to get rid of the "i'm only in for $9, so who cares if i lose" mentality.) I am fairly comfortable with my game, but certainly could use tweaking. Have just started HOH and so far it is very informative. I think the "limit mentality" leaks refered to in earlier posts should go away the mote MTT's I play.

Once again, thanks 2 all for you ideas and comments.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:37 PM

Hey,

I also recommend checking out the MTT forum, there are some great people there and you can get some great tips. Here are some threads from there that I've bookmarked:

Stack Size Essay

MTT Early Level Strategies

That Mysterious Inflection Point

My Problem in Tournaments

A Tournament of Thievery

Best of luck!