Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Playing my aces

Thanks for the kind words. Also, remember my book is The Pocket Idiot's Guide to Texas Hold'em -- it's a beginner book, and I think it's pretty much the best pure beginner book out there.

I should also stress that I'm a 1.5+bb/100 winning player at 2-4 and slightly over 1bb/hour at 4-8 live, mostly in a NYC club game that is considerably tougher on average than the Foxwoods games I've sat in (although still not that tough).

I also have a fulltime job, wife, kids, house etc. so don't play nearly as much as most on here.

And stud is my first -- and still best -- game. While you might take my money at 2-4he, I guarantee you don't want to play 3-6 stud on Party with me.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:22 PM

i've been up for almost 24 hours and don't get the logic of this entire thread.

So we call the turn instead of raise for WHAT REASON? We raise the river INSTEAD of raise the turn BECAUSE OF WHAT? Its the same s#it, isn't it? You might even be able to cap the turn AND the river, but that chance is out the window if you just call the turn. Why not RAISE BOTH!? make him pay for another card. The dude can't have the 3 (unless, you know...he's an aweful player, cause we know the awful players 'always' out draw the good players..lol)

I'm not confortable raising the river, what if the river card helped him/her more than the TURN card? They we fly of the handle and raise on HIS/HER winning card!

thoughts.........
felipe
Old 04-13-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the kind words. Also, remember my book is The Pocket Idiot's Guide to Texas Hold'em -- it's a beginner book, and I think it's pretty much the best pure beginner book out there.

I should also stress that I'm a 1.5+bb/100 winning player at 2-4 and slightly over 1bb/hour at 4-8 live, mostly in a NYC club game that is considerably tougher on average than the Foxwoods games I've sat in (although still not that tough).

I also have a fulltime job, wife, kids, house etc. so don't play nearly as much as most on here.

And stud is my first -- and still best -- game. While you might take my money at 2-4he, I guarantee you don't want to play 3-6 stud on Party with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can pretty much guarantee I won't take your money at 2/4 HE either.

scrub
Old 04-13-2005, 02:51 PM

soory, I'm ina daze today

1. I think a good rational for waiting is that a turn raise stops a bluff

2. I don't think a great justification for waiting is that 1) hero is more likely to get called and/or 2) less liekly you get 3-bet if he raises the river becuase I don't believe either is corect (a 3 still 3-bets the river and I thinka turn raise may get called even more than a river raise)

3. I think the missed set outs when fodling to a 3-bet are a sowehat diminimis consideration given the pot size (not really what i typed the frst time around)
Old 04-13-2005, 03:13 PM

Well, if you're in AC this Saturday, you can come and take it at 5-10 he at the taj....
Old 04-13-2005, 03:17 PM

Count me with the majority that want to raise before conceding that he probably has trips.

The turn is the correct street to raise. The most probable hand for him is one pair. Raise now and most players will call the turn and river. By waiting you run a very large risk that he will checkcall the river and save himself a bet.

Raising is also best if he has 54.

Waiting may also be bad if an ace rivers. He may completely checkfold one pair. At best he is unlikely to either value bet or continue his bluff when the scare card hits.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
soory, I'm ina daze today

1. I think a good rational for waiting is that a turn raise stops a bluff

2. I don't think a great justification for waiting is that 1) hero is more likely to get called and/or 2) less liekly you get 3-bet if he raises the river becuase I don't believe either is corect (a 3 still 3-bets the river and I thinka turn raise may get called even more than a river raise)

3. I think the missed set outs when fodling to a 3-bet are a sowehat diminimis consideration given the pot size (not really what i typed the frst time around)

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) Why would you want to make him stop bluffing?

(2) I'm positive you're wrong about this. I used to raise this turn a lot more until Nate pointed out the benefits of waiting and I'm astonished at how often I just get called on the river by better hands.

(3) It's not a huge consideration but it's a consideration nonetheless, especially since between 2 and 4 bets will go in on the river when you were behind and you catch your ace.

scrub
Old 04-13-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Count me with the majority that want to raise before conceding that he probably has trips.

The turn is the correct street to raise. The most probable hand for him is one pair. Raise now and most players will call the turn and river. By waiting you run a very large risk that he will checkcall the river and save himself a bet.

Raising is also best if he has 54.

Waiting may also be bad if an ace rivers. He may completely checkfold one pair. At best he is unlikely to either value bet or continue his bluff when the scare card hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree about the straight draw but this is not a very probable hand given the line so far barring a specific read--if the turn had put a flush draw up there or something I'd like this argument more.

scrub
Old 04-13-2005, 04:53 PM

(1) Why would you want to make him stop bluffing?

<font color="green"> I don't </font>

(2) I'm positive you're wrong about this. I used to raise this turn a lot more until Nate pointed out the benefits of waiting and I'm astonished at how often I just get called on the river by better hands.

<font color="orange"> I agree in general but he here, what are you representing that would scare a 3, TT? I'll ponder some more </font>

(3) It's not a huge consideration but it's a consideration nonetheless, especially since between 2 and 4 bets will go in on the river when you were behind and you catch your ace.

<font color="orange"> truth to that</font>
Old 04-13-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree in general but he here, what are you representing that would scare a 3, TT? I'll ponder some more

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's more a phenomenon of people being willing to put a certain amount of money into the pot with certain strength hands and not reading hands very well than it is a matter or representing a specific hand. Then again, I'm not the weirdos who just call with trips so maybe I'm not giving him credit for putting you on tens. I'm pretty sure the thought process is more "I have 53o. Yay! I have trips--I will get super tricky and bet them out. Boo--he just called. I'll bet again--he raised me? My kicker isn't very good so I call." Whatever the reason, I see this way more than you would think.

Similarly, raising in EP, betting an A high board on the flop and turn and checkraising an opponent who is likely to value bet whatever they were calling with often results in them just calling the river if they rivered aces over fours or whatever. I can't explain why, but it happens.

scrub