Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Re: JJ -- First hand of today\'s B&M session. Game on...!

id stop at 3 bets on the river
Old 04-13-2005, 07:04 AM

Default RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't rule out 56 just because of the preflop raise. When B&M players post blinds, they all just disgustedly call raises. They're bad. They complete with anything, and call raises with any two suited, any connected, and any ace. Why? They've already put some money in the pot!

The more I think about it, the more likely 56 is even than T9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joker, you nailed my description of blind play from these guys, let alone in all low-limit B&M games. That's why I "put him on" top-50% hands before the flop. That definitely includes 65 and T9.

[ QUOTE ]
What I've seen done even more often in my years of B&M play is that 95% of players only invest 2 bets on a big street with a set when several hands beat them. If a straight or flush possibility is on the board, they 3-bet only with one of those hands -- and if the player really is weak-tight, that makes it even more likely he won't 3-bet the turn, call a cap, and lead the river without a straight. Online, this is an easy turn cap and river raise. Live, I've learned to adjust to passivity. The hands Hero's likely to be facing here in my opinion are: T9, 88, 65, KK, 77, 44. In that order. And the last two are pretty rare with this post-flop action. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I missed a bet on the river. But if I raise and call a 3-bet (which I have to do), I'm losing pretty much every time.

I still say just call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joker, again you're bang on when describing aggression from weak-tighties in this room and generally in all low-limit B&M games. A 3bet in the B&M (especially from a weak-tighty) means soooo much more live, let alone leading the river "blank" into my cap. Oreogod, consider this if you ever hit the felt tables, which I suggest you do, because most of the low limit players have stats like 50/5/1. You just don't really see 18/9/3.5's. I love it! Just remember that only playing 20% of your hands live takes PATIENCE! Online, this would definitely be a river raise and call a 3bet, but players are more aggressive there, giving opponents a wider range, and weak tighties don't have to be embarrassed when their 77 or 88 is NOT up against AA-QQ here. Live however, it seems a 3 bet (and up) is something reserved exclusively for the nuts.

<font color="blue">RESULTS: Of course, Villain turns over 56 and my hand is no good....sneaky fukin' turn card!</font>

I was too wrapped up in amazement at the similarity to the day before's first hand (see OP) to see if they were at least sooted. He actually flipped over his cards and said "nuts" quite angrily. I decided not to correct him (T9), said nice hand, and made sure my cards hit the muck. After all, I may as well get some advertising for my money.

<font color="blue">Now onto what I SHOULD have done. I should have capped the flop and re-evaluated on the turn. If he leads into me on the turn, I could probably save myself a BB while still going to show down (only calling his turn 3bet). Thoughts???
However, with 10 outs on the turn, and probably only behind to 56, I've got a pile of equity here. Should it still be a turn cap even if I had capped the flop and he lead into me on the turn???</font>

I could see that he was genuinely frustrated with me capping the turn into his nuts. Wow, see the above point on what 3-betting (and up) is "supposed" to be reserved for. Right after, he got into a conversation with the oldest of the old man rocks on my right. I couldn't understand everything, but it involved lots subtle gesturing to me and the german word for maniac, which is...Maniac.

The results obviously sucked, but meh, it happens. The day before, my turned set of jacks on the first hand held up. What can you do. <font color="blue">There's no bad beat whine here, I just want to know if there was a better line</font>. Online play has desensitized me to bad beats, so I just chuckled and moved on. About 3 hands later, another interesting hand came up against a very similar player. I had AJo, but I'll post it later.

Thanks all,
-freq