Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Eric Clapton vs. Jimmy Hendrix

[ QUOTE ]
oh come on. characterizing hendrix's style as "fast rock" is flat out ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that characterizing Hendrix as "fast rock" is a little bit misleading and inaccurate, but I was trying to develop an argument and make a good juxtaposition against Clapton's different style. Fast rock seemed to fit the bill.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:26 PM

Did Clapton write any good songs?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clapton definitely wrote at least Layla and Tears in Heaven, since he wrote them both about very personal topics (Layla was about how he was in love with George Harrison's wife, and the Tears in Heaven was about his son's death). I could go do a search and find all of the songs that he's written, but of course, I'm lazy.

EDIT: I just realized that you might have been focusing on the "good" part of that question. I would say that Layla is definitely his best song, but if someone wants to disagree, go right ahead.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jimi was one of the greatest (if not THE greatest), but I can't even image how incredible he'd be if he was still alive today. With another 35 years of experience, no one would even be close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duane Allman, if he hadn't died as well.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was Jimi's best song ? Is it "All along the watchtower?" or is it "purple Haze"? or is it something that I wouldnt choose....

[/ QUOTE ]

Watchtower isn't his song, so he doesn't get credit. I'd choose "Hey Joe" or "Manic Depression."
Old 04-11-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Anyone saying "and it's not even close" have no idea what they are talking about. I suppose what they have in mind is some clip of a stoned out of his mind Hendrix setting his guitar on fire vs a middle-aged Clapton sleeping his way through a charity concert. Put that way, I guess Hendrix is cooler.

But guitar playing wise, it's pretty damn close. These guys wrote the book.

/twang
Old 04-11-2005, 02:46 PM

Hendrix was the greatest. Ask Clapton, he'll probably tell you the same thing.

NT
Old 04-11-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What was Jimi's best song ? Is it "All along the watchtower?" or is it "purple Haze"? or is it something that I wouldnt choose....

[/ QUOTE ]

Watchtower isn't his song, so he doesn't get credit. I'd choose "Hey Joe" or "Manic Depression."

[/ QUOTE ]
It may not be his song but have you litsened to Bob dylans version then compared?? he made it his own.Everyone knows Bob dylan is an amazing songwriter.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:47 PM

you're just overlooking that hendrix sounded great on a slow blues, "red house" being a prime example. clapton is a great player and I love his earlier stuff for his melodic sense and great time feel at any tempo. but hendrix had it all, the sound, the concept, and he was a genius rhythm guitarist (clapton is not). jimi's sonic palette was huge, clapton's tone has remained fairly constant.

jimi was a true original and changed the way people think about the guitar. I don't think even a clapton fan would say this about clapton.

--turnipmonster
Old 04-11-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're just overlooking that hendrix sounded great on a slow blues, "red house" being a prime example. clapton is a great player and I love his earlier stuff for his melodic sense and great time feel at any tempo. but hendrix had it all, the sound, the concept, and he was a genius rhythm guitarist (clapton is not). jimi's sonic palette was huge, clapton's tone has remained fairly constant.

jimi was a true original and changed the way people think about the guitar. I don't think even a clapton fan would say this about clapton.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put.

I like Clapton a lot by the way, except when he did "I Shot the Sheriff."

NT