Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: taking crap at the table (saturday night brantford 20/40)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The first quote is perfectly fine. Someone asked to see his cards, he said no and explained why.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not allowed to say no (and I don't think he did).

And, explaining the rules to other players is a quick way to get people upset at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no reason for him not to explain a rule that is clearly misunderstood. If someone string bet and got called on it, I would explain the rule if no one else bothered to do so. I don't see how this is any different.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:09 PM

Jealousy. They're jealous someone half as old knows twice as much. At 22, I experience this all the time. Oh well, I get their money and they get to talk [censored].
Old 04-10-2005, 11:18 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

i kindly informed the player to my right when i was dealt my first big blind that i don't chop in the blinds,

This is one of those things that will get people upset with you. I chop even in the 30 and 50 game, but I also sit to the left of the non choppers. Frankly I don't mind playing it out but chopping does seem to keep the tension down.(note these games are raked with a nfnd policy)
Old 04-10-2005, 11:24 PM

i probably should have mentioned that there were other players in the game that weren't chopping as well (as there usually are), so i really didn't see not chopping as a big deal.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:41 PM

are we young kids always met with so much hostility in this game? i've never taken so much crap while attempting to have a good time at the poker table.

I see young folks taking crap from old folks, old folks taking crap from young folks, old taking it from old and young taking it from young.

Sadly, there are lots of buttheads that play poker. If it bothers you, "Table change please!" may solve your problem next time.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sadly, there are lots of buttheads that play poker. If it bothers you, "Table change please!" may solve your problem next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately the only other 20/40 game was a really tight one. i dont understand how the place keeps 3 20/40 games going during the week but somehow only manages 2 on a saturday night.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you suggest i handle this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever some jerkoff repeatedly asks to see my cards or other players cards I make sure to ask the dealer to turn over his cards every chance I get. They usually get the point and stop doing it.

-Pete
Old 04-11-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
some 30-something guy (who had been drinking) asked to see one of my hands on the river that i would have preferred to muck. i looked up to see who wanted to see my cards and the guy started going off, telling me that i had an attitude problem and shouldn't be so damn cocky, etc. (i certainly didn't give him a dirty look, though i probably wasn't smiling either.) i attempted to explain that it's generally considered rude to ask to see mucked cards unless you suspect somebody of collusion, which was obviously a mistake, as it triggered him to go off on me for another couple of minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't explain anything or give this guy a reason why you don't want to show. usually if someone has been at the table for a while and asks for the first time to see my cards, i'll flash them to him, but if he asks again i'll tell him i don't want to show. i don't think explaining collusion could ever be a good idea with a bunch of old men. besides, if someone is berating me, i have no reason to oblige to them by showing a hand.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

besides, if someone is berating me, i have no reason to oblige to them by showing a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately it's not your choice... unless you have pinpoint accuracy and can hit the center of the muck pile from any seat.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

besides, if someone is berating me, i have no reason to oblige to them by showing a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately it's not your choice... unless you have pinpoint accuracy and can hit the center of the muck pile from any seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying that if you push your cards towards the dealer at your club and someone asks to see them, the dealer has to turn them over?

ps. sorry for posting this before looking at some of the replies to your post.

pps. i feel your pain. i'm the only 18-year-old who plays 10/20 full kill o/8 with no one under 60, so i know what it's like to be griped at every second, but you have to zone them out. it's not that hard.