Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: A Murder In Progress At Hospice LaGrange

Well Dead I do agree it seems odd that other major news outlets apparently aren't covering it at all, given the gravity of the situation. I would like to read more about it. There just doesn't seem to be very much about it, in total, on the internet.

I don't think that implies that it is likely to be false, though, and given the verifiable aspects and the article + blog info. I think it is more likely to be largely true.

Thousands of people die in hospice every year I guess and I never heard about any particular case in the mainstream media except for the Schiavo case. Surely there have been other very controversial but lesser known cases, wouldn't you think?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:02 PM

PhatTBoll's source is decent, but it really doesn't go into detail about the living will.

It mentions it once and then ignores it for the rest of the piece, choosing to focus on other aspects of the case. Weird.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dead, you have little or no basis for calling WND "very, very unreliable", and even less basis for presuming this particular story is essentially false.

[/ QUOTE ]

See this story about an 'upcoming Terri Schiavo movie'?
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=43617

Compare this April Fool's joke found here:

http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/bus...duction-037936

Are we done calling WND reliable yet?

(edit: They pulled the original story and ran this retraction, *four* days later http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=43663 ...however, I think I've made my point.)
Old 04-08-2005, 11:47 PM

First link did not display a story.

Reading the last link, let's see: it appears you have found an isolated example. They were taken in by an April Fool's joke and apparently did not do sufficient due diligence prior to the story.

Some much bigger names in news have not done sufficient due diligence prior to running stories, and those were stories with much greater ramifications--does CBS ring a bell? I don't hear you or Dead claiming that "CBS is unreliable". How about the New York Times? Jayson Blair engaged in long-term fabrications in his journalism, complete fictions. Are you and Dead going to claim that NYT is unreliable? Should you?

Lots of news outlets have had to print retractions on occasion. It's not all that uncommon.

One, or even more than one, such errors, does not justify calling a source "very, very unreliable". However the long-term journalistic scam Jayson Blair managed to pull at the NYT just might justify such a criticism.

It's important to keep things in perspective.

Anyway, since the local paper in Lagrange has confirmed many of the salient details of the Mae Magouirk, how about we get back to the discussion at hand rather than continuing to meander down this side path?

I think it has been established that this is a real story; hopefully some more details will come out soon. Hopefully too, they won't succeed in murdering that poor old lady just because her granddaughter thinks "it is time for her to go see Jesus".
Old 04-11-2005, 10:11 AM

The good news is that this lady has been airlifted out of the Georgia death house and sent to the U of Alabama Hospital. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The killers have been thwarted in this case. But how many more potential killers are out there?
Old 04-11-2005, 01:34 PM

I don't know.

Why don't you ask Eric Rudolph? He was saving lives by bombing that abortion clinic, don't cha know?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:18 PM

Jesus christ, stop your over-sensationalizing bullshit.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus christ, stop your over-sensationalizing bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]