Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Please Critique....My First Post

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

River: (12.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Qh Qd (one pair, queens).
Hero has Jc Ac (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 14.75 BB. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Get him to check-raise you on the river.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:09 AM

http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/c/jccuneo/preflop.pdf

Ed Millers SSHE chart availible for print out. Even it reiterates my thinking for AJs.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:12 AM

If he is raising a ton of hands preflop you should reraise with AJs in that spot.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the flop sucks fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye, there's the rub. What do you do when it flops Axx?

(BTW, I agree that we should not fold pre-flop.)
Old 04-07-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If UTG raises with
AA-TT, AKs-AJs, KQs, AKo-AJo, KQo
UTG beats AJs 59% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 3.5SB in the pot and it costs 2SB to call. If this were the only consideration, then calling is clearly fine. (Of course, it is not.)

[ QUOTE ]
He was raising all night with K9, J10, and various naked aces. VPIP for this guy was up around 65% with a very low agression.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, the perfect opponent. (Though your description is not exactly consistent with how he played this hand; 3-betting with second pair against a possible flush is not really "very low aggression".) If his PFR% was as high as you imply, then calling with AJs is clearly better to folding. You probably should raise to eliminate the blinds. (I hate cold-calling even more than normal on the button.)

[ QUOTE ]
yes I was trying to buy a free card [on the flop].

[/ QUOTE ]

And in this case the free card is almost truely free. You have between 10 and 12 outs, twice, to win this hand. If it is 12, you are about even money. Otherwise you are no worse than about 39% to win the hand. Bonus if he holds AJ. Bonus if your raise makes it more likely that he will pay you off if you hit. Your flop raise was close to even money even ignoring the possibility of a free card. The flop raise is clearly good.

Nice hand (but I'd probably raise pre-flop). Put this guy on your buddy list.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:18 AM

damn, was UTG on some major tilt or what. i'm not sure about the preflop call, if you had a caller or 2 between you then its all goot. rest of the hand you played quite well.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:25 AM

Im not sure if it was tilt, or just generally bad play. I think it was a combination of both. Since the hand after this I picked up prockets, rainbow flop with a queen highest card on the flop. He raised every bet of mine with Q4o. So who knows?
Old 04-07-2005, 10:31 AM

Stu, he had a read on this player as loose aggressive preflop. He had a 65% VPIP and was raising a ton of hands including naked Aces.. I think this is a clear reraise against this kind of player.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stu, he had a read on this player as loose aggressive preflop. He had a 65% VPIP and was raising a ton of hands including naked Aces.. I think this is a clear reraise against this kind of player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats probably the route Im going. Then bumbing it all the way through if possible. Especially on that flop, take a free card if I dont hit the turn...etc. Otherwise I like it.

With this opponent, I think its far better to three bet if it will get the blinds out (u never know if they will call one bet or not, so make it two to them) -- worked out either way, still next time I say three bet this kind of opponent -- u have position and good hand against what most would call a bad player, go for it.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read my original response to the OP you will see I advocate raising if he has a read(the OP did not give us his read until much later). This response was to another poster who suggested that against a reasonable UTG raiser, one might be able to profitably cold call with AJs if there was one other cold caller in the pot.

My thoughts are that against a reasonable UTG raiser, one should dump AJs even if it looks like there would be three other cold callers in the pot as well.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Stu