Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Theory question, heads up.

if both players were equally skilled and you are certain he doesnt have a pair, how can you even think about folding? you are ahead of ANY hand he could have, plus there would be 750 dead chips in the pot. couldnt get it in there faster [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] holla
Old 04-06-2005, 02:29 AM

First of all if you are both equally skilled you shuold call whether or not he has a pair. If you know he doesn't have a pair, then its completely insane to fold.

The ONLY and absolutely only reason to not call with 22 here, is because your opponent does something that is so easily exploitable, that it gives you a higher EV than passing up this opportunity, or if you know your opponent is somehow ultra tight and would only limp preflop with hands like KTo.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...if...you are certain he doesnt have a pair, how can you even think about folding? you are ahead of ANY hand he could have...

[/ QUOTE ]

not to nitpick but that's not true. there are plenty of non-pair hands that are ahead of 22. for example 53s, 54s, 64s, 65s, KQs, QJs, etc, etc...actually all suited connectors except AKs, 43s, and 32s. also, lots of one-gappers and two-gappers like T7s and even three-gappers like T6s.
of course calling against all those is still +CEV in this spot because of the dead money.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:40 AM

wow, im retarded. yea i guess you are behind ALL of those hands. even like 46/54 behind. im terrible that i dont know that. sheesh. but yea in any case the dead money makes up for it. thanks for pointin out my flaw ilya [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] holla
Old 04-06-2005, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, im retarded. yea i guess you are behind ALL of those hands. even like 46/54 behind. im terrible that i dont know that. sheesh. but yea in any case the dead money makes up for it. thanks for pointin out my flaw ilya [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] holla

[/ QUOTE ]

don't be too embarassed, i didn't realize all this either until a 53s vs. 22 hand came up in one of my SnGs today and I decided to plug it into the 'Stove just for kicks.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't be too embarassed, i didn't realize all this either until a 53s vs. 22 hand came up in one of my SnGs today and I decided to plug it into the 'Stove just for kicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for pointing this out. I will admit I did not know this.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:56 AM

How on earth can you be "almost certain" he has no pair? Also, there are many non pair hands that are actually FAVORED over 22, with JTs being a 54/46 favorite. If he is WAY better than you, it still wouldn't much matter with blinds 250/500. Phil Ivey is welcome to play me anytime at these blinds and he will not win wore than 47% of the time, guaranteed.

I think calling here is just a bad/weak play. There may be some +EV to it, but not much.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:51 AM

Phil Ivey will beat you more than 50% of the time if you fold 22 here. btw there is no reason anyone in the world should be able to beat you over 50% of the time over the long run here.

Everyone knows the advantage you can have when the blinds are 250-500 is very small against almost anyone. Not calling in spots like this where it's clearly +EV (Assuming a good oppontent), can't be right if your opponent is good.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:09 AM

I think against a reasonable/good opponent it's a call. Against a bad (too tight HU, that is) player folding might be a better option.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:25 AM

I hate when I make a bunch of grammatical errors and its too late to edit.