Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: More Ed Miller Advice

Ah, well with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I definitely PFR from the SB, regardless of how many limpers there were. AJs plays well both SH and MW.

I think the presence of 52s on the board actually impacts the decision to go for a CR on the flop. Its it more likely that Ar5s2s hit draws than Ar7r2r, and any draw might bet if it looks like nobody is really interested in the pot; expecially the PFRer.

I would still be nervous about checking this flop in the games I play. At .5/1 players might be a little too weak to bet. At 2/4 and 3/6, players might be a little too smart to bet. I might start trying this more often & see how it goes.

The seond example flop (A-high) is different in 2 ways. First, we aren't afraid of overcards coming, and we shouldn't be afraid of domination by AK or AQ becasue they would probably have PFRed before the action got to us on the SB. This makes hand protection somewhat less important. Second, there are no straight draws possible, reducing the need for hand protection a little more. Its too compelling to not bet the flop in this case.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:16 PM

Honestly, you have almost 2500 posts, yet you still refuse to use the URL tag, and go effing up my thread. And after all the support I gave you no less.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, you have almost 2500 posts, yet you still refuse to use the URL tag, and go effing up my thread. And after all the support I gave you no less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, next time my friend.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:59 PM

Wow, the advice on this forum has gotten REALLY laggro over the the last couple years, huh?

For instance, the consensus was that you should fold KTo when folded to you in the CO? That's horrible. Limp AJs from the sb? I guess that isn't as bad, but still...
Old 04-04-2005, 05:00 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with this Ed Miller article even though I fully agree with the gist of it. Of course you must seperate the big leaks from the little leaks.

However, virtually everyone that has read his book and has been reading this board for awhile...

1. is playing/raising the appropriate starting hands from the appropriate positions.

2. knows hows to play TPTK.

3. knows how to play the flopped nut or second nut flush draw and open ended STR8 draws for value in multi-way pots.

4. fast-plays trips almost all the time.

5. counts outs fairly well and only draws when they have decent pot odds.

6. calls river bets when the pot odds are 10-1 or better and they have at least some chance of being best.

7. tries to protect their hands.

8. thinks about maximizing the amount of money in the pot depending on if a bet comes from their left or right.

I could go on.

So why is it that many people here are still apparently losing or barely winning?

I'll tell you why.

Because when you add up all the small leaks of misplayed overcards, misplayed second pairs, a loose flop call here or there, going too far with good hands when you get raised on the turn and suspect you are probably beat, an occasional misplayed attempt at protecting etc... it turns into a huge leak. It's more like a deluge.

That's the only way to explain it.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:10 PM

It's been a while since I've seen a post that said, 'I'm playing like Ed told me to, and I'm losing!'

A lot of people are talking about downturns, but not so much 'I can't win playing the SSH way'. Just don't see it.

But I still think it is good advice.

KO
Old 04-04-2005, 05:32 PM

Did you ever think that when someone says they are having a downturn that the reality is that their previous upturn was actually the streak that entailed luck?

I'm not saying that the advice in SSH isn't going to make you a winner. If SSH doesn't do it, I don't know what will.

I'm saying that when I review my own results and read this board, most of the problems and disagreements I see have to do with the things that Ed dismissed as being very important or big leaks.

I haven't played 10K hands yet, but I'm pretty sure my biggest leaks are 2nd pair, overcards, taking top pair too far etc...
Old 04-04-2005, 05:47 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Wow, the advice on this forum has gotten REALLY laggro over the the last couple years, huh?

For instance, the consensus was that you should fold KTo when folded to you in the CO? That's horrible. Limp AJs from the sb? I guess that isn't as bad, but still...

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, a lot of people who were saying fold early in the discussion thought that hero was in MP2. The converter was not working properly. From MP2 in a micro game, folding this hand is a very viable option.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:48 PM

Did you ever think that when someone says they are having a downturn that the reality is that their previous upturn was actually the streak that entailed luck?

I'm not saying that the advice in SSH isn't going to make you a winner. If SSH doesn't do it, I don't know what will.

I'm saying that when I review my own results and read this board, most of the problems and disagreements I see have to do with the things that Ed dismissed as not being very important or just small leaks.

I haven't played 10K hands yet, but I'm pretty sure my biggest leaks are 2nd pair, overcards, taking top pair too far etc...
Old 04-04-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice is to open KTo for a raise from MP2 onwards if everybody from UTG to MP1 folds, and to raise AJs from the SB regardless of how many limpers there are. If anybody disagrees with this advice, please present your arguments.