Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 07:31 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: I hate my job, could I become a great player ?

[ QUOTE ]
maybe working part time and using poker as a second income would be a good idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think any job that pays you 140K per year is going to allow you to work part-time.........and I don't think any part-time job is going to pay him close to enough to keep him at the 120K per year range with poker on the side.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:06 AM

I am going to say yes, that you could become a great player, and a RESOUNDING NO that you can make 120k in your first year. It's not going to happen so forget about it.

I hate to be the realist here, but to even think you can make 120k in your first year you have to be crazy. Has it been done? Yes. Can it be done? Yes. What are the odds that it can be done? I would place it at hitting a one outer on the river in a 200 card deck.

Lets get real here. First of all you have to start with a bankroll of about 300 big bets of whatever limit you are going to be playing at. Most pros try to make 1 BB per hour so at 3/6 you are going for $6 an hour. Ok, so what if you 8 table 3/6? You should make $48 an hour right? No, you will make your eyes bug out and hate your life and want to kill yourself. In addition, if you think 8 tabling is going to be more fun than your current job, I would wager not. That is unless your current job consists of you 9 tabling.

The fact is, you are going to experience losses and wins playing poker professionally. The hardest part is figuring out how much you can take out of your bankroll to pay the bills and not go bust with your roll when the inevitable downswings occur.

So don't do it. You WONT make 120k your first year. Now, I'm sure below me you will see a few people telling you to go for it and how they did it or are doing it now etc. etc. Don't listen to them. Don't even think of doing it unless you are prepared to live very frugally for a year on about a teacher's salary and you are going to multitable online. It's about the only way to maximize your earnings playing limit hold'em. In a live card room you would have to play much higher stakes and get killed before you have the necessary experience/accumen.

That being said, I made $200,000 last year 20tabling on party poker and my Pokertracker stats say I VPIP 2% with a 3BB/100 hands. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Wombles
Old 04-11-2005, 11:27 AM

youre right about the likelyhood of success in his first year.
youre right that 8tabling makes you want to kill yourself.

youre wrong about how much money you earn. 3BB/100 8tabling is about a hundred bucks an hour. tack on rakeback and you make 125.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:39 PM

Pretty strong. gives me hope that maybe just maybe I can keep my 3-6 WR where its at over the next 100k or so (I'm at about 25k hands right now).

lf
Old 04-11-2005, 01:13 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
Do you just love to play poker ? then yes you will suceed.I dont think you will make it as a full time poker pro if youre only in it for the money...

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh......I would think if you're going to do it as a JOB and make a living off of it, you have to be in it for the money. I'd say you'd probably be anywhere from 85-90% about the money and 10-15% about getting some entertainment from it (I'm currently 65/35 split)

And don't go telling this guy he can make it just because he wants to do it. Only about 2% of poker players can make a living off of it (according to statistics I've read) and only about 10% can be long-term winning players. The chances of him reaching his 120K/year goal within 2 years is VERY slim, most poker pros work long hours to squeek in 40-50K per year, to my understanding.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:58 PM

As others have said, it's a remote possibility you could make that much playing, but it would take a long time. The only way to make that much, is by playing at the higher limits. In other words, you need to work your way up through the limits. So, it would be a long time before you were making that kind of money, if ever...unless you had a huge bankroll to begin with. And then, you're probably just going to lose a significant chunk of it playing above your head.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:51 PM

Being in very similar job scenerio ie. $130/year, stressful job, doctorate degree, and a love of poker, I've thought about my chances of success but I'm for sure not deluding myself into thinking that it'll be anything but brutally hard work. 8-tabling 7 days a week eight hours a day would not be very rewarding or enjoyable. I alternately look upon poker as a potential 2nd income (if I get good enough) that will "buy" me alot of freedom espcially from debt that you might be facing. Just a thought...
Old 04-13-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
youre right about the likelyhood of success in his first year.
youre right that 8tabling makes you want to kill yourself.

youre wrong about how much money you earn. 3BB/100 8tabling is about a hundred bucks an hour. tack on rakeback and you make 125.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kidding...
Old 04-13-2005, 10:45 AM

these threads are just so depressing.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:54 PM

I'm thinking about renting my house and taking a Leave of Absence from work to go play 10-20 in LA for a few months.
This way I can get out of the corporate world for a while without risking much.

I'd be happy to earn $25 and hour during this time.

What do you guys think?