Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Re: yanks-sox

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's up with people hating the Sox? Are they just sick of all the slurping media coverage or something, or does it have something to do with having the second highest payroll in MLB and still acting like they're some underdog? Because neglecting those factors they are a really fun team to watch with alot of interesting (and agonizing at times) history. Obviously I'm biased.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone's sick of the people that pretended to be lifelong Red Sox fans after Game 7 of the ALCS.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Sox fan since '84 I'm sick of these people too, but I'm a lot more sick of people who are "lifelong" Yankee fans since 1996.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:09 AM

I do blame it on our owner. I hate him, but no Twins owner would be able to afford a $100 million payroll.

The two World Series we won were in a different era of baseball, where the gap between rich and poor was much smaller.

We make the playoffs every year because we play in the worst division in baseball.

Sure, there are much worse things than being a Twins fan. They're a solid young team with a lot of heart, I was merely pointing out why i hate the red sox.

Think about the Royals for instance. They had to trade Beltran because it was the only way they were getting anything for him. He would have become a free agent, and there was no chance for them to resign him.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:20 AM

Oh, I know that. I definitely think Minnesota could put out, say, a $70 mil payroll and be very successful.

I mean, it's not like Steinbrenner just has all this money to spend because he's in New York. That's part of it, but he's got smart business sense.

FWIW, I wouldn't mind seeing a moderate salary cap ($100 mil) with a decent floor ($50 mil). We'll never see the floor, though. Owners are too cheap.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I know that. I definitely think Minnesota could put out, say, a $70 mil payroll and be very successful.

I mean, it's not like Steinbrenner just has all this money to spend because he's in New York. That's part of it, but he's got smart business sense.

FWIW, I wouldn't mind seeing a moderate salary cap ($100 mil) with a decent floor ($50 mil). We'll never see the floor, though. Owners are too cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lack of a salary cap makes bassseballl the joke it iss. WHo can take this [censored] gay asss sport serious when one iteam has like 10x the payroll of the team they are playing, its not even fukcign funym its just stupod, who wants to watch taht [censored]?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:55 AM

The salary cap is not a tool of competitive balance, it's a tool of collusion used to drive down player salaries. If they want competitive balance, they'd switch completely to an NFL style system. That'll never happen, because NFL players are bitches to the owners and the MLB Union is still strong.

The only thing a salary cap would change is that teams like the yanks, mets, rangers, etc would only be able to spend, say, $80 mil. Meanwhile, Milwaukee would still have a $35 million payroll.

Meanwhile, the MLB will probably have its most popular season ever.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:58 AM

Is this an exhibition or Opening Night? I have no idea. TIA.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:00 AM

NFL pwns n00bs.

MLB is a n00b.

NFL pwns MLB.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:08 AM

NFL owes its popularity to a multitude of reasons, its "salary cap" (I use it in quotes, because its much more than that) is pretty far down on the list.

Reasons include: gambling, TV Deals, short season, low requirements from fans (3 hours/wk for 4 months), the format of the sport being perfect for TV (commercials every two seconds, the short attention span needed), the violence of the sport, etc.

NBA has a salary cap, too. Nobody cares.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:48 AM

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=alex+rodriguez/v=2/SID=e/TID=I040_85/l=IVI/SIG=12psno3ld/EXP=1112618834/*-http%3A//espndeportes.espn.go.com/2003/sponsors/r_rodriguez_alex_ht.jpg[/img]

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=2004+american+league+championship/v=2/SID=e/TID=I040_85/l=IVI/SIG=127cip33a/EXP=1112619039/*-http%3A//home.comcast.net/~jleistikow/blog/pedro2.jpg[/img]