Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: You know whats gonna up your win rate a ton?

AJs is losing me money, I'm going to stop playing it, or only playing it selectively.

As for Pokertracker, I think that the hard part is not figuring out what kind of game each player is playing, but how to apply that information to individual situations. Pokertracker helps me practice that. Also, as other posters have eloquently said, it really helps identify my own leaks. Like playing AJ in EP, for instance.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:39 AM

amen.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:17 PM

I agree with Tbach
Old 04-03-2005, 06:29 PM

I'm not saying pokertracker wouldn't help me in the short term. I'm saying it would hurt me in the long term.

Well this can only be sensible if you plan on spending the vast majority of your time in B&M games.

Otherwise you would have to be very foolhardy to ignore free and detailed information in a game where information is money..

You can try 8-tabling without PT if you like; you can try runnign a marathon barefoot. I'm not saying it can't be done - it just that you are handicapping yourself for no reason. How can having less information help you make better decisions? Not only has my win rate soared using PT and GT+, but my understanding of the game has increased tenfold as I watch the money move with the player stats in front of my eyes - it is as though someone turned a light on....

Turning off the targetting computer might have worked for Luke Skywalker.. but unless you happen to be a Jedi you'll just miss more.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2005, 06:31 PM

Here, here. Very well put. Thinking pokertracker will hinder your play is just silly.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here, here. Very well put. Thinking pokertracker will hinder your play is just silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is saying PT will hinder your play. People are saying it will hinder your advanced poker education. Kaz, however, is already well beyond a beginner, which is who I think PT helps immensely. Once you can see a player for what he is without the numbers, you don't need PT.

I guarantee when you sit down with Bruiser, GoG, ElD and SR at the 25/50 game, no matter how many hands you have in your PT database on them, you're going to have to read how they're playing at that specific time. If all you've practiced is looking at PT numbers then you're SOL because they all might be play LAG, TAG, maniac, or super tight at the time and you won't know which cause you'll have all their hands jumbled together.

Kaz's goal is obviously to move up to higher games, where you can't define the players by a few numbers, and he obviously doesn't need PT to crush the low limit games. Therefore, not using PT might cost him .5 or 1 BB now, the education he gets by not using it will allow him to be a much better and much more educated player in the long run.

I personally can't wait until I can ween myself off of PT.

PS: Go into MHSNL and ask how many use PT. I think you'll be surprised. Almost every post in SSNL uses PT numbers as the read. I don't even remember the last time I saw PT number in MHSNL.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:59 PM

Well if you are playing one big stake tourney or table against players you already know well I would agree - but the low stake tables (and this is the low stake section) have huge numbers of players and are usually played by anyone who is any good at all 3+ at once...

As once in a while training I do turn off PT when playing - I still win, but have to play less tables and pay a lot more attention. I usually win less too.

If you are saying that, to prepare for a jump up in levels you should drop down to 1-2 tables and turn off PT, I'm still not that convinced...I'd rathr make an extra push with PT to get my bankroll sky high before jumping up...