Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: What Do We Think of This?

If you look at the flop check by MP1 as a failed attempt at a C/R, then he has been aggressive at every possible step, and he represents a better set than yours. You can call him down from here but you're probably going to lose. If it were a monster pot, maybe I'd take a shot. But this is no monster. I'd have folded when you did. Pass me that donkey dick. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

bill
Old 04-02-2005, 03:25 AM

Without a read this is tough to like. The thing that popped into my mind was set over set as well. But there are a few other hands that he might get excited about, but yeah it seems like it would be a pretty narrow range.

Like I said a read either way makes this either a really great play or an awful one.

The only thing I am sure about is that for better or for worse I probably don't make that fold, absent a strong read.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:42 AM

"But I've seen people cap AQ before, and I've also seen them 3-bet AK on this turn. If they're maniacs."

The turn raise is superfluous. We've gone over this before and I know you agree with me about cappers who suddenly check the flop out of position. I agree with the joker here, you really can't fold to the threebet because of AK/AQ possibility though.

FWIW, I often stab at this flop just in case the guy is one who decides he's not going to pay off KK against a threebettor with an ace on board. After that I'm done. I don't think this is inconsistent with playing conservatively on the later streets in this situation.

-Michael
Old 04-02-2005, 06:48 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
i have no idea what the 2/4 games are like, but i cannot imagine this fold being profitable.

also, i dont like the flop check. i think youre better off calling the cr and folding the turn UI. youre going to lose alot of money in the long run by letting opponents either value bet you on the turn or push you off the best hand.

checkfolding is too weak and calling down is too loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? I have position and after he caps me preflop and the flop comes AQx I don't plan on putting in anymore bets
Old 04-02-2005, 06:49 AM

unless youve played enough hands with this guy, there is no way to be sure enough that your set is no good to fold. he could see that you checked the flop and smells weakness and just wants to take a shot at you.

i really wouldnt give this guy that much credit
Old 04-02-2005, 07:21 AM

I think this hand is evidence of the problems when switching between different limits. At a middle of the week 3/6 game I say nice fold Sthief. At any day of the week 2/4 I say very, very bad. When moving down in limits (generalized statement) you often have to play worse to play better. If that makes any sense.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:04 AM

Your hand needs to be good at showdown one time in six for calling down from here to be profitable. At this limit I think it is good more often than that, so folding here is probably a mistake.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:09 PM

I think your fold was too tight.

Assuming the only hands MP1 could possibly be playing this way are AA, QQ and AQ, you must call down here if say MP1 is 100% probable to cap preflop in worse position with AA and QQ but about 30% or more probable to do so with AQ. Adding the possibility that he could be playing AK this way too (maybe he was going for a flop c/r and is now jamming the turn because he has nut straight outs or is feeling aggro), your effective odds are good enough to call down.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:35 PM

I think a call down is the best move here. Basically you'd be paying 2BBs for a 13-14BB pot. I think 1 in 7 times he's got AK or AQ. Thats just me though.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:55 PM

yeah i like just calling down. but i dont think your passing up much of an edge by folding. But i dont think theres anyway im not seeing a showdown here