Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Funny theBruiser500 archive post

Nice post bruiser.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. That really is inspiring. Way to go, Bruiser

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-31-2005, 09:30 PM

You keep mentioning that he's running well, almost seems like you think he's just been really lucky to get where he is.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:06 PM

well sure he ran well. He could have just dropped 180 bucks into the poker economy and never looked back. Instead he ran it up to a big enough BR to play 25/50. He might be a good player (I think he is) but no one goes on a run like that without getting a little lucky. And by lucky I mean experiencing an upswing at the begining instead of a downswing.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:12 PM

give the guy some credit...sure he ran well, but everyone runs well everynow and again. I'm sure he experienced a downswing every now and then, but moving from a BR of $180 to a BR suitable for the UB 25/50 take a helluva a lot more than "running well".

I'd say...
- 90% hardwork, dedication, and skill
- 10% balls (gotta have em to move up that fast)
- 1% luck
Old 03-31-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You keep mentioning that he's running well, almost seems like you think he's just been really lucky to get where he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone who moves up that fast in limits has to run well.

not saying he got lucky, but that he ran well and took full advantage of it.

if he started off running kind of crappy in the 25-50 game, then its a different story.

similar to when i started with 50 on party last year, if i went broke, which will happen alot, that would have been it, but i got lucky in the beginning, then started playing well.

also similar to bicyclekick in limit lately. he plays well, but has ran great playing in the big games.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
give the guy some credit...sure he ran well, but everyone runs well everynow and again. I'm sure he experienced a downswing every now and then, but moving from a BR of $180 to a BR suitable for the UB 25/50 take a helluva a lot more than "running well".

I'd say...
- 1% luck

[/ QUOTE ]

You vastly, vastly, underestimate the level of luck required at each and every step of the way for bruiser to have made this run.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just. But it is a major factor, yes.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:44 PM

Great post. Very inspirational and shows what someone is capable of with enough determination and hard work. It reminds of how I started with a free $10 BR as a promotion on a site in November '04 and by late February was up to $3000 and starting to sit in on a few 5/10 NL games. 90% of my wins were through cash games and I remember getting extremely lucky many times such as flopping sets with PP's so often I nearly expected it to happen everytime. Now I have no such luck but by constantly improving my game I don't need it to win consistently. Once again, great job....
Old 03-31-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'd say...
- 1% luck

[/ QUOTE ]

You vastly, vastly, underestimate the level of luck required at each and every step of the way for bruiser to have made this run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man... bruiser really must be special. He gets an extra percent that the rest of us don't. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Bruiser, if it's not too personal a question, what type of bankroll did you have at each level as you moved up? Obviously you have to not get unlucky (as opposed to get lucky) to take 1.8 buyins at 100NL and move up even to 200NL or 500NL (especially considering that at the time, the Party max buy-in was 50xBB).