Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Please Help Me Get A New Computer: A Few Questions

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that AlienWare is overpriced.

The Dell you linked to is nowhere near the other systems – not even in the same category.

If I were building a system today, it would look very much like the one from NewEgg. I’ve never bought from them, but I know a lot of people who are very happy with them.

That NewEgg system looks pretty much exactly like what you need, and the price is great. It would be tough to build it yourself for that price.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've bought A LOT of stuff from newegg. However, only parts as I build my own computers. They are simply put one of the best online computer retailers out there. I would also vote for the newegg computer. Very good value for the $$

A side note, SLI is very new technology. While also very nice, be prepared to upgrade your graphic drivers regularly.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the thing that separates a computer from a "multi-monitor" computer is a video card and multiple monitors

[/ QUOTE ]
Not quite true. As I learned with my computer, my motherboard won't support the Xentera GT4 PCI-E card, even though it has a PCI-E slot. I chose to not buy a whole new computer, and instead got the PCI version of the same video card. Apparantly you can't just mix-and-match the quad-monitor output video cards w/ any motherboard.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) It randomly reboots or freezes about once a day. This seems to happen most often when I have a lot of poker tables running. It has only frozen once, but has randomly rebooted about 7 times in the past week. If anyone knows how to fix this rather vague problem that I'm sure could be anything, let me know please. Right now I have the case off and a fan blowing on it in case it was overheating, but I'm still having the problem.

2) I have no tech support to call if I am having problems. This is the main reason I'd like to buy from a major company, so that if I have any problems I have a tech support line to call 24/7, and if they can't help me, the company will replace my parts free of charge WITHOUT my having to ship the computer in.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Almost certainly a heat problem. AMD processors, especially in the range you have, run very hot. What you're doing is the solution recommended by the tech guy in my office when I worked for Atari, but it might be less than optimal (he wasn't very good). Which leads me into the solution for your tech support . . .

2) Go to www.tomshardware.com and post questions on the forum. I've never not had a problem solved there.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:27 PM

Default get the dell

it does sound like a cooling issue on your current Box.
check out 3dcool.com they have some fans you can use.

unless you are a Heavy Gamer I wouldn't bother with the alienware boxes.

the dell system would be more than sufficient for your needs.

peace
billyb
Old 04-05-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: get the dell

[ QUOTE ]
I would blame your freezes on an under speced power supply

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be my first guess as I had an AMD system with the same problem. Stock systems come with power supplies just barely able to supply what comes with them. When you add aftermarket equipment it can easily overtax the powersupply.

2nd guess would be cooling. Did your friend install the new processor for you? If so did he do it correctly with Thermal compound and a proper heatsink/fan. AMD's generate a lot of heat. Even a big fan pointing at the case won;t help if the heatsink/fan for the processor was incorrectly installed.