Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: US Poker Championship

Because I know Josh does not post here and has, of course, heard it enough from people about his appearance on the WSOP and I suppose it is going to happen again since his comments to Toto, I will post POSITIVE comments about someone I have met, spoke with, and played with on several occasions.

Josh is a very aggressive yet intelligent player. He does have a 'method' to his madness. He senses weakness, his opponent is crippled. On a personal level, he's an all around nice guy. When I sat with him at a side event during the Bellagio Five-Diamond, having met him the first time in person after playing with him on numerous occasions online, in nature, he was very charasmatic.

We all have our 'quarks' and maybe Josh was getting a bit annoyed with Toto taking so much time? Remember, this taping is EDITED. Therefore, ESPN will show what they want. They love controversy and making people look like jerks. How many times in between the featured table did they show someone making a scene after being knocked out?

I think before some of you call respectable players names and degrade their character, take things into perspective and remember don't believe everything you see on T.V.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:23 AM

I have played with Josh and he's often rude, crude and insulting.

I feel his attitude is bad for TV poker, which if people accept it can do great things for a game many of us love.

Josh IMHO needs to grow up a bit and perhaps take a lesson in Class...it would benifit him and the TV audiance IMHO.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:44 AM

Played a lot with Sam in the 80's, should have seen him then, what a jerk. Seems to me he's mellowed a LOT.

At times, back then he was just about impossible to play with. Pug and the boys could take him but I couldn't.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing a NL Tournament at the LA Poker Classic and we were fairly late and I came over the top of a steal-raise from a button player with an all-in while holding TT. The guy went into the tank and Sam Grizzle called the clock on him. I didn't say anything, but I was really pissed because I felt it could effect his decision -- didn't really know if I wanted a call or not, but still it was very annoying. The guy folded. I spoke to Sam during a break and told him the move showed poor sportsmanship, especially since many other players had taken much longer than this guy and nobody called time on them. He was drinking quite a bit, so his senses were somewhat impaired and perhaps this contributed to the call for time <g>.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure Sam Grizzle was out of line here? If someone is taking an unusually long time to ponder a decision, any player can call the clock as they are under the strains of the clock also. If I'm shortstacked and feel someone is taking too long to make an easy decision or are trying too hard to save face I won't hesitate to call a clock on them to further my chance of seeing a playable hand before I go bust. Anyone agree/disagree?
Old 03-26-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Played a lot with Sam in the 80's, should have seen him then, what a jerk. Seems to me he's mellowed a LOT.

At times, back then he was just about impossible to play with. Pug and the boys could take him but I couldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think Sam was bad? You should have seen Johnny Moss in the '50s. Man! Me and Doyle really couldn't stand the guy, but Slim knew it was just the way he was at the table. The Greek was even worse though...
Old 03-26-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We all have our 'quarks' and maybe Josh was getting a bit annoyed with Toto taking so much time?

[/ QUOTE ]

please. the guy is a professional poker player.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, this taping is EDITED. Therefore, ESPN will show what they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh it's EDITED. thanks professor. i'm not doubting that they have an interest in showing josh acting classlessly. of course they do. but, josh has to act classlessly for them to show it. it's one thing to call the clock, but to berate the guy like that is out of line in my opinion.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:42 PM

It was definitely inappropriate. There were many hands played at the table where players would take minutes to make a decision and nobody said anything. In those cases it was usually well known pros and nobody said anything. In this case it was an older inexperienced guy and he wasn't taking that long when Sam called the clock. Believe me, I would not have said anything to him if it wasn't completely out of place -- I usually let things go. Hey, if he wanted to do it consistently or to do it when he was in the hand, that's fine, but this time it was not the right thing to do. He was pretty drunk and annoying, but most of the night he didn't step over the line. He was raising almost every hand and in one hand in particular it actually cost me getting into the money when I lost almost my entire stack to Surrinder Sunar. I finished in 30th place. The tournament paid 27! If anyone is interested I'll post the hand. Otherwise I'm happy to forget it.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:51 PM

I was just watching the first episode of this on Tivo and saw something funny. On the hand where Erick Lindgren gets knocked out they have a camera angle where the back of his shirt is clearly visible. The shirt is an ad for www.firenormanchad.com. Norman was pretty quiet during the call of this hand so I wonder if he saw it too.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just watching the first episode of this on Tivo and saw something funny. On the hand where Erick Lindgren gets knocked out they have a camera angle where the back of his shirt is clearly visible. The shirt is an ad for www.firenormanchad.com. Norman was pretty quiet during the call of this hand so I wonder if he saw it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's pretty damn hilarious.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:59 PM

Michael Konik is the one I hate, I love it when he tells howard how a hand should be played.