Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Double Shoot out Bust out Hand for Analysis

Yes, here's why. If the third heart hits he is in a very tough spot as well. Think about the hand from his perspective, you made a 1/2 pot size flop bet and check called the turn. What do you think that looks like?
Old 03-23-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I totally agree w/ you.
Unfortunately I have trouble going into that gear there, w/ the two hearts on board.
Can you?

[/ QUOTE ]

See my clarification to my response to MLG. My willingness to take that line is largely opponent dependent.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:20 PM

Agreed. Then again, against 3 I'm never comfortable with any line I take, since they're a damn good player. Your right though, a biggish turn bet would probably be better in that spot.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:20 PM

I did and good response.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Then again, against 3 I'm never comfortable with any line I take, since they're a damn good player. Your right though, a biggish turn bet would probably be better in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course #3 is tough to play against. But, my general feeling is that I'd rather make it a lot tougher for that player by firing out an amount that has to make him consider that I might be fully committed to this pot. I guess it comes down to this:

Against certain players, I am more than happy to let them drive the agenda and then I can make better decisions/reactions than them.

Against others, I feel like a decent amount of my edge comes from maintaining the initiative and applying pressure to them rather than yielding and potentially being put in some really tough spots.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:29 PM

Yes he would be in a tough spot and it would have saved me some chips. Not sure how many, but would have been alive.
If I could stay at around 1K after this hand would have been great. Plan to drop down in gears next time.
Thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 03:33 PM

This is a little off topic, but I think it applies here. It is relatively rare that you will be able to tell which of 3 categories this guy falls into after half a sit n go (which is effectively what this is). In these situations I will always assume a guy is average to slightly below average until proven otherwise and chose my line accordingly.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a little off topic, but I think it applies here. It is relatively rare that you will be able to tell which of 3 categories this guy falls into after half a sit n go (which is effectively what this is). In these situations I will always assume a guy is average to slightly below average until proven otherwise and chose my line accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally agree, but I've played a few Stars shootouts and there are many familiar faces in them, so I think it's a little different than just jumping into some random SNG.

And while it's definitely far different from what you know about someone from sitting at an MTT table or ring game with them for a long time, I do think you can make some decent high-level assessments regarding people just based on the lines they take in a couple of hands.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:41 PM

Have you played them this year El D.? They are full of $5 dollar qualifiers, makes the play a lot more random, as well as the players. But, yes I do agree sometimes a few hands is more than enough.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you played them this year El D.? They are full of $5 dollar qualifiers, makes the play a lot more random, as well as the players. But, yes I do agree sometimes a few hands is more than enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. My comments re: the shootouts were based on my experience playing a few of them in the past year for WSOP and Atlantis.