Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Very tough set decision

I agree with Bernie and Pokerkai and the others who have said cold-call. That turn check/3-bet by BB really does indicate a lot of strength. I guess it could be T5 or 33, but I'm thinking more likely he has a straight or (even worse for you) a bigger set.

Unfortunately, if UTG+1 really loves his hand, it's going to get capped anyway, but I'd like to get to the river for just three turn bets, if possible.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:01 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, if UTG+1 really loves his hand, it's going to get capped anyway,

[/ QUOTE ]

The turn check-3 bet should freeze UTG unless he has a very big hand. If he caps it, you're almost definitely behind in 2 spots at this point.

b
Old 03-21-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The turn check-3 bet should freeze UTG unless he has a very big hand. If he caps it, you're almost definitely behind in 2 spots at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

If UTG does cap the turn, what's your plan on the river if a blank falls? Also, what do you do if a ten falls?
Old 03-21-2005, 06:21 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
If UTG does cap the turn, what's your plan on the river if a blank falls? Also, what do you do if a ten falls?

[/ QUOTE ]

If a blank falls, Im checking/calling the river. I didn't improve. If I am going to bet when a blank hits the river, I should've capped the turn.

If a T falls, if Im checked to, Ill bet it and call a raise.
If bet into, bet the BB, then I might just call.

If UTG only calls the turn, and a blank/T hits, then I'm betting if checked to. Calling if bet into.

b
Old 03-21-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a blank falls, Im checking/calling the river. I didn't improve. If I am going to bet when a blank hits the river, I should've capped the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many bets would you call on a river blank? I'm asking because sometimes I think I pay off too often when I get trapped in a big pot versus two players who love their hands.

When I have a hand as good as a set, I have trouble finding a fold.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:55 PM

I think the fold comes from the fact that the pot was smallish on the turn before all of the betting.

All that turn action does two things to your low set:

1)It hurts your pot odds to call if you are behind.
2)It indicates that your opponents have A)just made a hand B)slow-played a hand that was made on the flop or C)decided to start firing a bluff into two players

Even if one of your opponents is indeed bluffing, the other probably isnt. You have to make a decision as to whether your up against a couple of two pairs or if you're behind a straight or higher set.

Treat the turn bet as an information/value bet. Since at least one of your opponents probably has you beat, you can now safely fold out of this smallish pot once it's re-raised back to you.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the fold comes from the fact that the pot was smallish on the turn before all of the betting.

2)It indicates that your opponents have A)just made a hand B)slow-played a hand that was made on the flop or C)decided to start firing a bluff into two players

Even if one of your opponents is indeed bluffing, the other probably isnt. You have to make a decision as to whether your up against a couple of two pairs or if you're behind a straight or higher set.

Treat the turn bet as an information/value bet. Since at least one of your opponents probably has you beat, you can now safely fold out of this smallish pot once it's re-raised back to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand should be folded 0.00% of the time.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think folding the turn would be bad. What I'm wondering about is what to do on a river blank, if UTG+1 caps the turn and then the river action goes bet, call, raise, 3-bet. What should Hero do then? Also, how does Hero respond to check, check, bet, checkraise on a river blank?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This hand should be folded 0.00% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. Please help me see your logic here given the smallish pot on the turn.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:25 PM

I didn't say he wasn't behind, it was a GENERAL STATEMENT, in that if you were to play every hand you had a set with super agressively from now till forever, it would be +ev. Are you telling me the set loses more than half the times in all these instances...come on....if you do, i'll have some of what you are smoking.