Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Was I out of line (calling the winner)?

I would have said something even had I not been dealing the hand. Those a-holes that would take a pot away from an obvious newbie should be flogged.

[ QUOTE ]
They were saying if he was stupid enough to not see it, he shouldn't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]
If the're stupid enough to think that AQQTT beats TTTQQ they deserve to get "slow rolled". That's probably why they were pissed, they thought they won and then you smacked them down with some hard, cold reality.

Cards Speak. That's involitate. If you don't enforce it, next time some dumbass might try to take another $500 out of his pocket to call a big bet when he's been playing short all night and gets a royal.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Was I out of line (calling the winner)?

I think you did the right thing. In our home game last night this came up as well, but it was not intentional.

A big pot (well big for us, we only play 10/20 cent no limit) developed between 2 players who are fairly new, and extremely loose/aggressive.

After the river hit the board was 5 3 5 blank Q, no flush or straights out there. PLayer 1 turns over her hand (K 3) and says "Two Pair" meaning 3s and the 2 5s on the board. The guy to my right turns over A Q and says "I only have a pair of queens" in a dejected voice. Noone mucked, cards were turned over in the middle of the table.

I was the dealer and as Player 1 started to pull the pot her way I politely asked her to stop and explained that Player 2s QQ55A beats her 5533K, and why it does. She looks at the cards, realized the mistake she had made and moaned and sat down.

Funny thing is, PLayer 2 bet $1 on the river when the Queen hit, completely thinking he was bluffing the entire time. He forgot what cards he had and was just playing the board and his opponent trying to bluff her out of the pot every step of the way (which is almost impossible with this woman...Calling Queen is her nickname.)

Anyway, you did the right thing. Anyone that tries to cheat someone out of a pot by not telling them they have the winning hand is scum. I understand some feel that people should know their hands and know they have won or lost, but newer people sometimes don't realize it (as was the case with my game last night) and that needs to be brought to their attention. I would never ever steal a pot from someone because they thought my hand beat them when it didn't if both hands were turned over and noone mucked.