Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Limp-rerasing is lame (long-handed)

[ QUOTE ]
So then the big question is: Do you make enough more profit to make up for the times that they crack simply based on the 30% win rate vs. 9 random hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't really get it.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But how about what you lose because you don't push out all the speculative drawing hands that hit on the turn or river? I mean, if I'm on A9s in late postion, I raise, then you reraise, I'm not going anywhere. If I'm four flush on the flop, I'm still going nowhere when you bet at me. You get the picture. I just can't believe that the extra few bets you might get limp-reraising can make up for all of the drawing hands that end up beating you when they never should have seen a flop with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe, son. Let pot equity into your life! Equity can work for you! Do you see the light?! Do you see the LIGHT!? Believe!
Old 03-17-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

you don't really get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, what a helpful comment! Here's a concept you apparently don't get: DISCUSSION FORUM.

Try me! Go ahead and explain again how you get a better return on your investment by getting people to pay three bets to see the flop. Idealize it by conveniently ignoring how often you won't actually get anyone to pay more but instead let a bunch of people who shouldn't have been in the pot at all draw to a much stronger hand. Preach about pot equity all day...but I guess reverse implied odds aren't spoken here.

Session after session I watch you geniuses limp hoping for a raise that you can re-raise then complain when your monsters get cracked by someone who wouldn't have seen the flop had you pushed them out.

I'm still waiting for someone to make an intelligent argument. Out of the last 24,265 hands this month, I like that my rockets have won 77% (had them 98 times), and that my kings have won 73% (had them 99 times), and that my queens have won 57% (had them 120 times). Hell, my jacks have held up 67% (had them 100 times). I think that if I were to let everyone see a cheap flop, they'd hold up maybe a third as often. The few times I'd get lucky enough to have some LAGs raise it up after me, I seriously doubt I'd recover the losses.

But, hey, I'm sure I just don't get it.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:53 AM

I guess you never read Abduls preflop strategy? Anyway Abdul was a popular poster here and on RGP a few years back and very knowledgable player. Sorry I don't have a link to the websight with his strategy posted.

But the jist is winning just the blinds with AA is a disaster making limp reraising much more profitable. I think the specific game and situation will dictate whether this is the proper strategy or not. If you are in a game where everyone folds to your EP preflop raise the limp is probably better. If the game is such that everyone calls or even raises your EP preflop raise it may not be necessary. In any event you must also ocassionally limp reraise with cheese to not tip your hand otherwise it's to much information.

And if you have some fish that likes to limp with cheese and then get upset when you limp reriase and maybe even tilt because of it, all the better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2005, 09:59 AM

If the table is so tight that people repeatedly fold to my pre-flop raises, it's time to move to another table. I guess if I was stranded at Harrah's playing 25 hands/hour with a bunch of people who love to raise yet won't ever play against one (?!?), I'd have to come up with creative ways to squeeze out an additional bet or two.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your aces are getting cracked much more often, but you are turning a larger profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then the big question is: Do you make enough more profit to make up for the times that they crack simply based on the 30% win rate vs. 9 random hands? What about all the times that there is no preflop raise whatsoever AND they crack? OUCH!

[/ QUOTE ]

You WANT A9s to stay in against your aces!

Read Waffle's response again.
Read Waffle's response again.

He explains why it can be +ev to limp-reraise with aces.

So quit your whining about how no one explained it.
You're getting a better return on your money preflop with more people in the pot.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So quit your whining

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not whiiinnnniinnggggg... I don't waannna play 'em that waaayyyy. Stop iiitt. You're huurrting meeee!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:49 AM

only reason im responding is cause you are a fellow st. louisan. its a good move in a tight game, a very good move. Otherwise eh. You play in any high home games around town? Im looking for a 30/60 or above limit game, but cant find any.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:06 AM

the last 2 times i limped with the intention of re-raising because there was a very good chance of a raise behind me:

monday, live $1/2 pot limit game, later at night, only 5-handed. me in ep1 with AKoffsuit. UTG limps, as do i. button and SB limp. BB raises to $12. UTG calls. i make it $50 straight. folds to BB, who pushes with last $102. UTG folds, i call. BB shows me AQ offsuit. UTG would have won with JJ in the hole, but didn't trust them to hold up for $102 cold.

last night, N/L hold'em tourney. lblinds are T200/400. me with KK UTG. i limp. MP1 raises to T1200. 2 cold callers plus BB comes in, back to me. i raise another T5000 to make it T6200 to go. initial raisor calls, all others drop out. i push in for about the size of the pot when the flop comes 6 high. i get called by 77, and better than double up.

limp re-raising is simply something that needs to be done from time to time. if you just raise every time you get a hand, gettinig callers becomes difficult. there must be a pretty good chance for a raise behind you to make this play.

cheers!
Old 03-17-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just can't believe that the extra few bets you might get limp-reraising can make up for all of the drawing hands that end up beating you when they never should have seen a flop with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you asking for a discussion...sounds like your mind is already made up and you want to whine about the beating you took.