Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on B-roll requirements/money mgt.

Again, I'm probably not taking financial advice from a non-capitalizing teenager, HOLLA, however. . .

The key part to that post is the peace of mind that comes with being over BRed. I currently have over 150 buy-ins. I worry about alot of things, but going broke isn't one of them.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:35 AM

hey now, this non-capitalizing teenager COULD be slightly intelligent and have the ability to make bajillions at poker, ya never know [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] and for the record, im only a teenager for a mere 15 months more. holla
Old 03-16-2005, 11:03 AM

The other great thing about having a huge bankroll is that if you want to play a few big multis, or some other non SNG poker investment you don't have to worry about it crippling you SNG BR.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you cannot play winning poker playing scared

[/ QUOTE ]

very true and something I have learned the hard way back when I started in July, playing $10s with $50. One or two unlucky beats, and not good times. Then again, I once won 4 out of 5, which makes me the greatest player ever, so bankroll management is inapplicable to me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

But seriously, I am rocking $500 roll on Stars and playing $5's and $6 turbos (one and two table tourneys) until I wrk off the WSOP bonus, then back up to $10s. I also mix in the occasional $20 if a few consecutive bad beats knock me out, as I feel my luck is bound to change - kindof like doubling your blackjack bets after a real crap run.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I make it a point to never date a woman with a skull and crossbones tattoo*, nor will I take financial advice from someone too lazy to spell 'you.' [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

*That's probably a pretty good Skipperbob story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a safe idea not to take advice from me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

David
Old 03-16-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is quite possibly some of the worst advice i have ever heard for anyone that seriously considers playing winning poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think that is fair. This is just a very risky approach. Each to their own. i have been able to move up a lot quicker than i would otherwise have been able to. If you (Not 'u' anymore... will you trust my advice now? ;o) ) have the skill, why not give it a go and gamble a bit. Poker is gambling don't you know?

David
Old 03-16-2005, 11:55 AM

Default AM Spreadsheet

I'm new here and my best search efforts were fruitless. So I was wondering what is this AM spreadsheet you speak of?
Old 03-16-2005, 03:11 PM

The general advice for the bankroll required for moving up a level has to do with estimating what would be a realistic, but bad drop of buyins in that level. For example, if you consider 30 buyins a very bad run then you should have a 30 buy-in bankroll for that level. Add some more if you are conservative, less if you are not.

But, if you are conservative you probably are not going to watch your whole bankroll run out during a bad run without dropping down to the previous level.

I don't always exactly follow the rules I set for myself, but I come pretty close and what I'm going to do for moving up levels is set my fallback number at something like 40 buyins at the previous level and my moving up requirements at something like 30 buyins. So, for example, to move up to the $33s I'll wait until I have a bankroll of 30 x $33 + 40 x $22. I think.

To me there is a pretty binary situation. Either I make enough playing poker that I am free to not do any work that I don't like, or poker is a hobby where I might have some fun and make a little money. The most likely thing that will keep me from achieving the first option is blowing a bankroll and deciding that it isn't worth putting in the time. I don't think a lot of you will care, but there are probably some of you in the same situation.

The number of buyins in the example above will obviously go up as (if) I move up because a bad run will be worse as ROI goes down and there is less incentive to move up later as it seems a living can be made even at the $33s if you play enough tables. (I'm sure some people could make a living at much lower levels, but not with a family in California)

Also, I doubt I will ever absolutely depend on poker as my sole income. I would just like to be free to not take work that I don't particularly want to do.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I make it a point to never date a woman with a skull and crossbones tattoo*

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
this is quite possibly some of the worst advice i have ever heard

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-16-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I make it a point to never date a woman with a skull and crossbones tattoo*

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
this is quite possibly some of the worst advice i have ever heard

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If you haven't dated a pirate woman you don't know what living is. Shiver me timbers indeed.