Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Oops I did it Again

Well done - congratulations.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:03 PM

Mike,

You rule. That is all.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:14 PM

MLG,

Thank you for showing us how to bully a table with reckless abandon against a table of weak-tighties. Congratulations on your impressive victory.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like play poker. Poker is nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's "pookah", not "poker", get it right. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

That is all.

Oh, yeah, nice payday.

I wonder if the any of "survivalists" saw how dominating a big stack can be in the right hands. I bet you half of them swore "I'm never limping into the $$$ again!"

You're right, running a big stack to the FT is much more fun than scrapping with a medium/small stack...not nearly as draining either.

It reminds me of the WSOP final table broadcast the Fossilman narrated.

He mentioned (my #'s may be off, but the gist is correct) that when it gone down to two tables he went from 3 Million chips to 5 Millions chips without showing a hand as everyone wanted to "make it" to the final table....strangely similar to your experience yesterday....hmmmm....a pattern??

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 03-14-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Around this time Prime Time and Chieff911, being the wonderful guys that they are start chatting about how much it would suck for anybody at my table to bust in 10th. Anyway, eventually somebody at the other table busts and my table congratulates itself on giving me all the chips because hey, they made it to the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great! I usually have to shill for myself (ala "Wow, one more and I finally make a final table and the big money!" or there abouts.)

Congrats on the score!
Old 03-14-2005, 05:36 PM

nice job bro! Perhaps we can get a seperate thread outlining some of the finer points of big stack poker.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:39 PM

You've now played a ton of tourneys. In the ones where you did well, in what percentage would you say there's a critical situation like in this one where you get a big chunk of your chips in as a big underdog?

On average, how many tourneys total do you play in a week? I can't imagine even playing 4 a week - and you do that just on Sunday. Wow.

Congrats on the second huge score. I didn't watch this time, but based on what I've seen before and your play style, I'm sure you could have squeezed out a few thousand more. However, as you point out, you're just one 60/40 away from being 2/2/1/1 instead of 3/1/1/1. Definitely can't argue with your approach to the deal. Congrats again.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:43 PM

Somehow.. I knew you were going to win when you only had about 120k chips. I posted that too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Awesome job - go buy the new Pontiac Solstice or a Mustang Convertible 2005.

Blackjack
Old 03-14-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome job - go buy the new Pontiac Solstice or a Mustang Convertible 2005.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool as long as you have enough money left over to loan me some when I finish completely devastating my bankroll. I'm still waiting on the big hit to get me out of my recent slump. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Seriously, congratulations. I didn't see any of it, but I'm not surprised at all to see you get another big win.

Later,
Che
Old 03-14-2005, 06:14 PM

Wow, a more than one sentence post from El Diablo for little ole' me. This is almost as good as winning the money. Almost. As for the questoins:

[ QUOTE ]
You've now played a ton of tourneys. In the ones where you did well, in what percentage would you say there's a critical situation like in this one where you get a big chunk of your chips in as a big underdog?

[/ QUOTE ]

In every top 3 I've had some combination of three things has happened.

1. At some point I need a big suckout. The first time I won the Stars sunday that suckout came in the first hour when my KQ outran AK and AJ. When i won the double shoot-out to the Bahamas it was AQ v KK with 3 people left, another time it was KJ v AK at two tables. Generally you get shortstacked, attack the blinds and somebody wakes up with a hand.

2. I win an inordinate amount of hands where I have 40%-60% equity for all my chips. Really this is equally as unlikely as a suck-out. You know, win a coinflip go card dead, blind off, blinds go up, repeat. Note, these kind of hands include things like pushing with 34s and getting called by A10o.

3. Get a big stack and then win a bunch of the above hands. When you raise from LP with KJ and a shorty with QQ pushes forcing you to call, it doesnt feel like a bad beat when you hit your K. You couldn't have done anything different, but I guarantee you it feels like a bad beat to them. A few of these can keep your stack big healthy and ahead of the blinds.

My one exception to this was the Stars WPT event. Since the stacks were deeper, the cards that hit allowing me to win big pots came out before the money went in. Twice I made nut flushes and then extracted a bunch of chips to grow my stack. In that tourney I was only all-in 4 times, and only called 1. Once on the first day with AA, against another monster stack I thought had KK. He didn't since he folded to my massive overbet. Once against Alex Brenes on the turn, when I was maybe 80% sure that my TPTK was good, but the flop had 6 million draws, he folded a 9 outer (inside straight and middle pair+ overcard kicker), and once when I stop n goed a big stack's reraise when I had 44. Then the hand I busted on was the 4th, and it was my own fault for bungling the hand.

[ QUOTE ]
On average, how many tourneys total do you play in a week? I can't imagine even playing 4 a week - and you do that just on Sunday. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't find playing a lot of MTTs taxing, especially multi-tabling MTTs. So many situations are automatic in online MTTs with shallow stacks. As for how much I play it greatly depends. I play a lot on sundays, as I said. During the week, if I'm not busy, I can probably play about 2 a night, the stars 150, the party supers, some UB 100s. The nature of the best is that of course the hours vary greatly. That means that the better I'm running the less I play since, obviously, each one takes longer. I don't like to start new tournies when I'm deep in other ones. I think its a psyche thing though, because I'm sure my brain couldn't handle logging ring game hours.

Thanks for the congrats El D.