Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: NYT: \"Ante Up at Dear Old Princeton: Online Poker Is a Campus Draw

I'm pretty sure it is 220:1. Like if you say 1:1 odds, you mean its a coin flip. Similarly if its 1/221, it should be 220:1 (I think).
Old 03-14-2005, 07:41 PM

I only read the Subject line, but just wanted to say that I can't believe how many Princeton students I have run into at the Borg that absolutely blow at poker. It makes no sense to me.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haha. My only point was that the odds are 221 to 1, not 220 to 1. It's a small difference, but it's something Dead should get right if he's going to be so critical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't comment on him being overly critical, but you were the first critic when you said 222:1, which was wrong. Now you're saying 221:1, which is still wrong. It is dealt 1/221 times (13*51/3) which means that out of 221 deals you will not get it 220 times, and you will get it 1 time. Thus, the odds are 220:1 against getting AA dealt to you. (I am explaining it this way for it to make the most sense for understanding odds. I do realize that you will not exactly receive AA exactly 1 time out of a random sample of 221 hands.)
Old 03-14-2005, 08:34 PM

This guy doesn't.

scrub
Old 03-15-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"He speaks in poker parlance as if everyone understands it and can innately calculate the odds of drawing pocket aces (two, face down)"

Wow what a genius. There's nothing to calculate. You simply memorize the odds. 220 to 1.

Color me unimpressed with this "genius".

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, because I didnt know what it was offhand, but I could tell you that the odds are 1/13*3/51

[/ QUOTE ]

That's okay. Dead didn't know either.

-2kF

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, honestly I'm not sure what the value of knowing that is. If there's an ace on the board, or in your hand, those aren't the odds. And if someone caps pre-flop and bets into a ragged flop, I'd bet money the odds are no longer 220:1.. So I'm not really sure what that tells you. The ability to calculate odds seems much more useful..

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. My only point was that the odds are 221 to 1, not 220 to 1. It's a small difference, but it's something Dead should get right if he's going to be so critical.

-2kF

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. It's embarrassing that you berated me for getting it wrong when you don't even know the right odds yourself.

The chances of being dealt POCKET ACES are 220 to1. 220 to 1. You have a 0.45% chance of being dealt POCKET ACES as your two down cards.

Now stop saying that I got it wrong. You're only making yourself look more foolish.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:01 AM

Btw your posts listing the wrong odds for pocket aces will be archived for posterity. It's too late to edit them flushes.

You chastised me and told me that I got it wrong. You said that it was really 221 to 1. It's not. You have 1 in 221 chance, but you have to subtract 1 from 221 to put it into the correct form. Thus, you get 220:1.

First you asked if I meant 222 to 1. Then you changed your answer to 221 to 1.

Get a clue, and stop harassing me.

I was critical because I don't think it takes a genius to memorize a chart full of hold em odds. Anyone can do it. I'm certainly not a genius and I know them.

You don't even have to be good at math to calculate the odds on the spot. All you need is a calculator.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:52 AM

Whoops. You're right about the 220:1, ctv. (The 222:1 post was meant as sarcasm when I was thinking the odds were 221:1.) It's easy to see that I was wrong.

To clarify, the only reason I made the post at all (ill-calculated though it may have been) was because I'm tired of posters who get so jealous and indignant whenever an article is published about an online player. The article linked in the OP gave one of the better impressions of what a long-term online player encounters.

Maybe an article will be written about Dead one day, but I doubt it. In the meantime, I'm sure he'll keep trying to prove himself.

-2kF
Old 03-15-2005, 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw your posts listing the wrong odds for pocket aces will be archived for posterity. It's too late to edit them flushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, [censored]. You mean I can't edit posts I made yesterday? My plan is ruined.

Get a grip.

-2kF
Old 03-15-2005, 04:06 PM

Why don't you get a grip, fool? You set out to prove me wrong and failed. You just look stupid now.

I wasn't getting on the kid in the article. I was saying that it's not hard to memorize the odds to drawing a specific pair as your down cards.

I'm not jealous of the kid at all. I'm happy for all the players on 2+2 who have found success in their poker playing careers, for example. I'm mad at the reporter for leading people to believe that calculating something like that is only something a genius can do.

Get a clue.