Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: dealing with parents

If they are funding your life in whole or in part, then I think you should totally level with them about what you've been doing, and then quit playing poker until you cut the chord. After that, it really is your time and money, and they'll be well on the way to being educated about poker, and about your incredible honesty and discipline. There's a lot more poker games than parents in your future.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy them a car with your winnings.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I suggest some?

Escalade w/ Twenty Fours
Mercedes Benz, all black with the light panels
Lincoln with chrome spinners
Denali with chrome spinners
Yeah and get a cool grill on the Escalade too.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bling.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy a rolls royce fantom, everyone shuts their trap when your car is worth more than their house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol.
Or a Aston Martin. Or a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Escalade with chrome spinnas, tinted windows, da grill, and light panels and hydraulics.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bling.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:41 AM

Shoot them, worked for the Menendes brothers
Old 03-16-2005, 08:24 AM

Default At That Level, Buy Them a Cruise or Something

You play 15/30 correct. You say you know your a winning player so you must have played 100,000 hands.

If you are winning 1BB/100, then that's

100,000 / 100 = 500 * 30 = $30,000.

You can do a lot of things to impress your parents with that kind of money.

On a side note my parents are the same. Want me to be an investment banker. Don't you ever wish you weren't smart so they wouldn't expect so much from you.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:47 PM

Without trying to patronize you or anyone else, most of the fear associated with anything that a person perceives as "risky" originates in lack of knowledge. They do not understand what you are doing and it's natural for them to be afraid for their son.

Actually, you stated this very thing in your post. I think that you should try to enlighten them, but above all assure them that you are NOT losing and that you are committed to your career goals.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a consistently winning player (no, i'm not deluding myself into believing this), and usually play online a couple hours a day, playing mostly 15 30 limit, or 5 10 nl, and have done pretty well. However, my parents will never understand what I do. They are very conservative people, and see what I do as being a degenrate gambler who will lose everything, and will fail out of medical school. Everytime I talk to them they just end up yelling at me to stop playing (They don't even know that I play as much as I do or as high stakes as I do), so I don't know what to do to get them to understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is paying for your medical school? If its your parents, perhaps you should start paying a portion of it from your poker winnings. That would send the message that you are serious about both poker and medical school.

Stu
Old 03-21-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy a rolls royce fantom, everyone shuts their trap when your car is worth more than their house

[/ QUOTE ]

ni han
Old 03-21-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, my mom hopes I lose every cent of my savings playing poker so that I might stop becuase I'll realize I'm not any good at the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This comment should tell you a lot. What are their past experiences with gambling? Their is some major prejudice here. A hump you may never get over.

I am an advocate of open communication. If you cannot get your parents to feel comfortable with your hobby (as I assume they know this is not a career choice), then the 3 of you should agree that the topic is not to be discussed. Be an adult. That should be the most important reflection of your character that will impress them.

For those of you who say to quit, you sound more like a parent of children who are old enough (or close to) to be this poster. If this poster was making money playing chess or backgammon (other games), I am sure that this view would be different. It's the perception of the difference between skill and gambling. I am disappointed with the attitude of posters who take this view.

It would seem to me that support and guidance is more in order. Failure to take this role is futile in a parent/child relationship.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:19 PM

Two of the hardest things for parents and offspring to get used to:

1) The parents can no longer exert unlimited influence over the offspring's behavior.
2) The parents are no longer responsible to fix every one of the offspring's owies.

I mean, yeah, if they tell you to stop and you don't want to, tough on them. If you lose your ass and wash up broke, tough on you. Both parties have to get used to this idea.