Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Whats with all the limp reraising ?

As with most things, people see it and then start doing it too often. Kind of like the Check/call-Check/call-Check/raise play with top pair of aces with a weakish kicker/headsup.

People take a play and apply it in situations where it is inappropriate. FWIW, I have also seen a rash of LRR as part of running a bluff lately.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Big pockets do not go up in value with more players. They go down in value. They are meant to be played against few opponents, not many. Drawing hands are meant to be played in multi way pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Confidently stated. Completely wrong of course.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:50 PM

The problem with limpreraising is that letting it get to the flop for one bet is very bad for you. If you somehow knew somebody would raise after you (as if, for example, you're a gigantic fish and limp UTG with five pros to act after you), AA and KK and probably a fair number of other hands become worth a limp-reraise.

-Michael
Old 03-11-2005, 06:50 PM

The problem with limpreraising is that letting it get to the flop for one bet is very bad for you. If you somehow knew somebody would raise after you (as if, for example, you're a gigantic fish and limp UTG with five pros to act after you), AA and KK and probably a fair number of other hands become worth a limp-reraise.

However, if you're concerned about your opponent's always drawing out on you and having the odds to do so, perhaps you should just limp with AA and keep the pot small.

-Michael
Old 03-11-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you somehow knew somebody would raise after you (as if, for example, you're a gigantic fish and limp UTG with five pros to act after you), AA and KK and probably a fair number of other hands become worth a limp-reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]
And even then if you are against aggressive players you would sometimes raise because someone may reraise allowing you to cap. By raising, you get in either two bets or four. By limping, you get one or three. Limping being better requires a parlay that someone will raise if you limp (so you get in three bets) and no one will reraise if you raise (so you would only get in two).
Old 03-11-2005, 07:10 PM

I suspect it is due to NO LIMIT players moving to LIMIT games.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He didnt put in 3 bets with 75s, he limped in and no one raised, the guy with KK was trying to limp re raise but no one raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant on the flop. A set is a pretty decent favorite here, so getting to put in 3 bets with top set is pretty fun.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Letting crappy hands see the flop for 1 bet isn't. Of course, you sometimes gain some deception value because people usually don't put you on a big pocket pair wheh you limp,

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise about 12% of hands preflop. When I raise AA UTG, everyone thinks I have AJo anyway, and calls. Limp re raising screams Aces or Kings, or, I'm a tool.

Raising more hands more often preflop will make limp re raising unnecessary. Raise more hands, they will not think you have aces. It's amazing how many cold calls I get at the 1/2 PR tables, just because I raise alot, and ppl get mad. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]