Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Lost too much with KK?

Well that would be assuming I'm usually going to pay off my full stack with no improvement. I did on this occasion, but I'll normally fold to a big raise and certainly to a solid opponent.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:15 PM

Your pre-flop raise was a little small next time try 120ish. For two reasons. #1 your out of position the whole hand. #2 The first person calling your raise receives one 1.4-1 pot odds. The bigger raise should drive out suited connectors and small-mid pairs. By betting so little you caused a cascading calling affect, which resembled an unraised pot. If one player calls then each proceeding players pot odds sweaten. UTG+2 received over 4-1 on his pre-flop call. When he called your turn bet warning bells should have gone off in your head. Checking the river would have been a better play.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:28 PM

Like I said - pot-limit, I think the max raise was about $10 more than I made it. Interesting point though - if it was NL, what would people recommend to raise here preflop?
The objective I assume is to get everyone to fold with an occasional caller hoping to get lucky.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:20 PM

sorry jdp you could only make it 65. that wouldnt have made a difference in this hand but with the blinds it might.
plus there was 6 in already with you. the blinds are part of the hand. isnt one of the reasons to raise, is to not let the blinds in cheap to beat you with hands you have no idea what they are.
you did get a bad break, and it would turn out the same possibly unless you bet the pot on the flop. but you cant play looking back and in the future you need to think about that 20 to 1.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:30 PM

Wouldn't the max preflop be 60? Five players in the pot for 10, so he can raise it 50 more. And the converter likes to screw up sb raises... he actually raised to 55 and not 50, despite what it says. I didn't catch that at first. So he raised to 55 when 60 was the max. Looks like a good reason to play NL instead of PL. =/