Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Canada may legalize pot! sweet....

since all i will be called is a racist i will let you have that, however, i believe that your assertion is not entirely accurate.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:02 PM

for your info, canada is looking beyond decriminalization. They are looking to fully legalize and federally tax marijuana.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: supply and demand and illegal drugs, IMO- simple version

I can give you that one, and I think its ridiculous that people are so miseducated about drugs.

I blame D.A.R.E. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Is there anything that has failed more than the DARE program?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:07 PM

good post.

Also, marijuana being illegal is a large part of why it is often considered a gateway drug. It is a gateway to the illegal community because it is illegal. Marijuana can introduce people to guns and other things, not only harder drugs. Because marijuana is much more innocent, innocent people are trying to use it, and have no choice but to be introduce themselves into an illegal community. This is where they are influenced into harder drugs and more illegal activity. If marijuana were legal, all these negative manifestations would obviously not occur.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:08 PM

This is the correct way to handle it, IMO. I would not stop with marijuana. IMO, in a free society, what you put into your body is your business. I believe that the drug laws cause a lot more harm than they prevent. The corollary to that is that if you do drugs, you are responsible for your behavior. "It was the drugs (or booze), your honor", should not be an excuse for any criminal behavior. Law enforcement should be concentrating on violent crimes and property crimes, not enforcing "nanny state" or "morality" laws against drugs, prostitution, sodomy, etc.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for your info, canada is looking beyond decriminalization. They are looking to fully legalize and federally tax marijuana.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still support it. I want to legalize all drugs.

But how would they tax it?

What's to stop me from just growing it in my backyard?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: the real reason weed might be legal....

[ QUOTE ]
Marijuana cultivation is big business. Marijuana production is one of canadas largest industries. It is BC’s second largest industry in terms of revenue, second only to softwood lumber. In Ontario it is the second largest agricultural crop in term of revenue, next to beef. We already export more weed to the US than we did beef before the Canadian beef ban. the full legalization of weed will have a huge affect in terms of value added to GDP as long as the US doesn’t slow border crossings to a crawl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points.

If it were legal, I wonder what effects would come from the U.S.'s shortsupply of marijuana.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:26 PM

I'm more radical. I would legalize everything. Decriminalization is a step in the right direction, but it still leaves sale and distribution in the hands of the criminal element. I would handle the more dangerous drugs sort of like tobacco and alcohol. Require warning labels, up to and including, 'this stuff may well kill you", have severe penalties for driving or operating heavy machinery where appropriate, but allow sales. Sales to minors would, of course be prohibited, and sellers and distributors would be licensed and regulated. Employers would till be allowed to test where safety is critical, and make non-use of drugs that might compromise safety a condition of employment. I really don't think you would see much, if any increase in drug abuse. Most people already know that heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine are addictive, and that cocaine and meth can be extremely destructive to their health. Those who aren't concerned with the natural consequences of drug abuse aren't deterred by the legal consequnces, either.

I think a good case can be made that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. It never ceases to amaze me that it is still illegal because of a ridiculous propaganda campaign in the 1930's.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Laziness. A lot of people will find it more convenient to buy it at the store than to grow it themselves. It's entirely possible to brew your own beer, or make your own wine, too, but most people don't bother. Of course, it's entirely possible that they will make personal cultivation illegal to protect their revenue source.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to, it will be cheaper to buy, just like in Amsterdam...

When I was there I was shocked how inexpensive it was to do drugs. I thought it would be an arm and a leg, but it was cheaper than a beer.