Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 06:04 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Take their money now or wait for c/r turn?

[ QUOTE ]
Easy raise, no one is going anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot's starting to get big, wouldn't you like some of them to go somewhere? Or at least think about it? How about making them pay big for staying? You can't do that on the flop.

b
Old 02-26-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The strength of your hand isnt going to change a ton based on the turn card,

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you'll likely still have a pair. But your edge may increase quite a bit.

b
Old 02-26-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Easy raise, no one is going anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot's starting to get big, wouldn't you like some of them to go somewhere? Or at least think about it? How about making them pay big for staying? You can't do that on the flop.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but none of them will be making a mistake calling with a flush draw on the turn, regardles of whether or not you bet here, no?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:23 PM

Preflop: I usually limp with 4 ahead of me. 3 is give and take. I'd probably raise. so what. I can let that slide.

Flop: Very drawlike board. You're raise forces the next guy to call getting 11-1. What isn't correct in calling that? You're not protecting anything here. You'd actually be hoping the sb 3bets it to blast some in between guys. But how much would you really like your hand then? There is value to raising, though you're not charging a flush draw anything. They'll welcome the raise especially if everyone comes along. I'd wait for the turn to pop it on a safe card if you think there's a good chance you will get bet into on the turn.

Anyone 3 betting you on this flop can put you in an interesting position as many different hands can do this with this many players in. You won't really know where you're at. This depends on the predictability of your opponent, obviously.

As with most of this type of situation, you will be berated if you wait, and the posts will go on and on, over and over just as they always have every time this situation presents itself: Charge the flush draw the max (false); get the money in while you 'know' you have the edge(true, but there is a bigger edge on the turn); no guarantee you will get bet into on the turn(is there ever a guarantee?)...blah blah...

Good luck with it.

b
Old 02-26-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, but none of them will be making a mistake calling with a flush draw on the turn, regardles of whether or not you bet here, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Effectively, they'd hate it.

Let's say you call this flop. Turn starts at 6-1? (ill round up) Would a flush draw like the thought of putting 2 bets in on this street? Note that a flush draw is also about 5-1 to hit at this point. You have one of his outs which reduces his odds by about a full point on the turn as opponed to .3 of a point on the flop. Wouldn't his take (equity) in this pot not be drastically reduced from what he has on the flop? If there are 2 flush draws, they really wouldn't like it. 2 pair draws won't like it, as they can easily call the flop raise also. Gutshots will really hate it.

The flush draw isn't your main concern on the flop. It's not a huge mistake for many to call that single raise on the flop. Even the A of trump can eek a little if he knew he hit an A it would be good.

Remember, Im not saying there's no value to raising this flop. Sometimes I would depending on how the table is playing. (tighter postflop I'd be inclined to raise a bit more)

Generally speaking: Just saying I likely have the best hand so I must bet/raise isn't really thinking about the situation other than on single level. I mean, really, isn't that just as simplistic as the 'fit or fold' flop approach?

b
Old 02-26-2005, 10:48 PM

Thanks everyone for the thoughts...appreciate it.

What did I do? I raised the flop and everyone called. An Ace came on the turn and some bet, eveyone else folded and I called down to see Ax take my nice pot.

For those of you who said raise PF and to reread SSHE..here's the quote after I've reread:

"If the pot is already many-handed, perhaps 5 or 6 limpers, consider just limping with AJ and KQ. Your preflop edge is relatively small against so many opponents, and your call should give you strategic advantages wich can make up for your small theoretical loss form not raising by allowing you to outplay your opponents after the flop" ...(should have been a cavaet here: "Unless an Ace falls on the turn")

Thanks again.