Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: teaching english in a foreign country

daryn,

you should check the details before you go and do something like pick up and move.

i know for france, for instance, you can't stay in country as an american for more than 90 days without a work visa. and i don't think they give out work visas for waiters. i could be wrong.

my guess is that something similar applies in italy. call your local embassy or something [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

good luck, i've been thinking about doing similar.

citanul
Old 02-26-2005, 07:17 PM

Do you have an EU passport. Because that would make your life much easier.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i am liking florence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rome > Florence.

[/ QUOTE ]

ewww you are insane! you couldnt pay me to choose rome over florence. rome is dirty and busy, florence is beautiful and compact.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:24 PM

if i were you i would choose a medium sized city on the coast. man the italian coast is beautiful
Old 02-26-2005, 07:29 PM

With regards to finding a place, i'd stay in a hostal for a few weeks, you get to have a look around the city you choose(if you haven't already been) and you also get the chance to check out a few places before you decide.

While looking for a place in oz, we found a place we liked told them how long we'd like to stay and paid in full. If you have the cash to do this this will help you alot being a (at a guess)non-EU.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:02 AM

What IPP says is pretty much correct for all the north and middle european countries. Iīm not saying that my english is good by any means, but we (austrians) start to learn english in school at the age of 8 or 9, some even earlier. English is being tought to us all the way to finishing scholl (depending on the type of school between 15 and 19), meaning about 3 -5 hrs of english every week. If you study english you will have to wait for a job offer after university for several years.

On the other side, whenever I was in Italy and Spain I thought that even the young people there spoke a terrible english or hardly english at all. So I think that looking for an english teaching job in these countries wouldnīt be that hopeless.

A problem might be: Itīs quite possible that you have to show some kind of diploma of an university to teach a language. (English language or interpreting diploma this is, of course). You wouldnīt be allowed to do teaching english in an austrian school without any of these diplomas. Actually you would even need a second subject to teach. Private lessons are something different of course.

Another problem: Iīm not quite sure about visas for americans. I doubt that americans without a working visa (which wouldnīt be too easy to recieve) can stay longer in the EU than 3 or maximum 6 months (Just as we arenīt allowed to stay longer in the USA).

Best regards and good luck in Italy.

Martin Aigner
Old 02-27-2005, 06:55 AM

I taught English in Korea in 2002. There are a large number of recruiters who can assist you quite easily in this matter; basically, you need a North American accent and a University degree (any discipline - the government requires it to issue the E-1 work visa).

Personally, I didn't care for it; it was too much culture shock for me.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Europeans that I've met have very good English.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you have never met a Frenchman.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:26 PM

daryn,
if you're very keen to do this, you would have no problem finding a job teaching English in either Rome or Florence. Any one with mother tongue English can go to virtually any country in the world these days and find a job easily - it just takes some courage but it isn't hard I assure you. You only need to check out your visa requirements. Then rent a room in a Residence for a month whilst finding a flat. I did it when I was 26 and have no regrets - been here in Milan 9 years now.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Europeans that I've met have very good English.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you have never met a Frenchman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm talking about Germans, Dutch, Israelis, English.