Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Anyone work fulltime and play 30 hrs or more a week?

i believe you can't sit for the exam until you have 3 years experience.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:36 PM

The solution, of course, is to find a full-time job where you have time to play poker at work. A friend of mine from college works a helpdesk with that sort of situation. He works the overnight shift, calls are usually light, so he can play for a good chunk of his shift.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I work in IT so I'm in front of a computer all day 9 to 5. But I don't mind spending another 5 hours (with breaks) after work to play poker. In fact, I enjoy it. It's been a year since I got into this routine and I don't see myself getting tired of it anytime soon, probably never. It beats watching TV or going out to the bar. One downside is that I don't get enough exercise and that is something I'm trying to fix. I love poker after a full day's work.

EDIT: I am married and my wife is supportive of what I do, which makes it that much easier. However, with our first child on the way, I have no idea how drastically that's going to change the routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats... get some sleep now while you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sleep at work... anyway seriously, since I started doing this, I did give up a lot of the other things I used to do, like golf, going out, reading... and sleep is probably another one. I get about 6 to 7 hrs a night on weekdays and catch up on weekends.

Lately, I've been thinking about another line of work that will give me more time for poker with some leisure time. I have no idea what tho...

[/ QUOTE ]

HAhaha you are about to go from 6-7 hours a night to about 6-7 hours a week! It's worth it though you can forget about leisure time for a few years.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

HAhaha you are about to go from 6-7 hours a night to about 6-7 hours a week! It's worth it though you can forget about leisure time for a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea... I'm bracing for a huge change. Hopefully, our baby will be the kind that just sleeps all the time ?!?!? What are the chances?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:25 PM

Finding balance is the key - not only with poker, but many other aspects of life. While some of us can grind out a living, it really is a grind.

If you can make extra fun money while keeping your bankroll intact and having a rewarding life, then you are a winner. You don't want to wake up and be an overweight, lonely, sunken eye 40 yo zombie.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea... I'm bracing for a huge change. Hopefully, our baby will be the kind that just sleeps all the time ?!?!? What are the chances?

[/ QUOTE ]

I prayed for two things when my son was born. Ten fingers and ten toes and that he sleeps. Well... one out of two aint bad.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:41 PM

IMO, it is simply not possible to maintain 70+ hr work weeks without getting serious burnout after a short while.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:48 PM

I assume you have a full time job?... a 9-to-5er?
So between that and the baby, how many hours of poker can you put in?