Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many BB/100, over the long run.
Greater than 3 2 9.09%
3 0 0%
2.5 0 0%
2 1 4.55%
5/3 0 0%
4/3 3 13.64%
1 2 9.09%
2/3 1 4.55%
1/3 9 40.91%
0 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Is Isiah Thomas the worst GM in sports?

Howard is 2003, and the only guy who fits the bill from that year.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 low first rounders probably won't produce more than one decent bench player, and I doubt the Knicks could move up to get Bogut even with all 4 picks. Low 1st rounders have almost no value.

[/ QUOTE ]

In addendum to my last post
I name some late 1st rounders who turned into solid NBA players, all 15th pick and up

1997 - Kelvin Cato, Pollard, Bobby Jackson

1998 - Harpring, Rasho Nesterovic, Pat Garrity, Ricky Davis, Al Harrington, Nazr Mohammed

1999 - Ron Artest, James Posey, Dion Glover, Jeff Foster, Kenny Thomas, Andrei Kirilenko, Francisco Elson (2nd rnd), Manu Ginobili (2nd rnd)

2000 - Hedo Turkoglu, Desmond Mason, Q. Richardson, Jamaal Magloire, Mo Pete, Speedy Claxton, Marko Jaric (2nd rnd), Eddie House (2nd rnd), Ed Najera (2nd rnd), Michael Redd (2nd rnd!!), Brian Cardinal (2nd rnd),

2001 - Zach Randolf, Gerald Wallace, Sam Dalembert, Jamaal Tinsley, Tony Parker, Gilbert Arenas (2nd rnd), Memet Okur (2nd rnd), Earl Watson (2nd rnd), Bobby Simmons (2nd rnd)

2002 - Jiri Welsch, Juan Dixon, Casey Jacobson, Tayshaun Prince, John Salmons, Dan Dikau, Carlos Boozer (2nd rnd), Flip Murray (2nd rnd)

2003 - Dahntay Jones, Brian Cook, Carlos Delfino, Leandrinho Barbosa, Josh Howard, Luke Walton (2nd rnd), Willie Green (2nd rnd), Kyle Korver (2nd rnd)

2004 - Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, JR Smith, Tony Allen, David Harrison, Anderson Varejao (2nd rnd), Trevor Ariza (2nd rnd),
Old 02-24-2005, 05:50 PM

you just saved me a lot of work.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:50 PM

Was that a joke? The vast majority of that list either wasn't in the last 8 picks of the first round (where the knicks likely will be), wasn't a first rounder at all, or stinks.

At most 1/3 of that list meets what I asked for, and maybe less.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:55 PM

Whats wrong with this statement.

The Knicks traded garbage and a serviceable backup center for two overpaid serviceable powerforwards and three draftpicks in the first round. Since the knicks are out of playoff contention, this is a solid move and allows them to find some jewels or trade up in what is turning into a very deep 2005 draft.

The money is NOT an issue, Maliks contract runs one year after Houstons, and at the very worst they will buy it out if they desperately want to be under the cap that year.

Anyway, they'll probably package, one of them and penny and end up with Ray Allen or something over the summer, and they will be over the cap anyways.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:57 PM

For the record they are saying the other Spurs pick is for 2006.

I still like it.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:58 PM

I made that list before you posted your challenge...

And they are all 15th-and-after picks, and 2nd rounders.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:00 PM

15th and after picks are irrelevant, and a few 2nd rounders a year being succesful has nothing to do with my point of 3 low 1st rounders being unlikely to produce more than 1 useful player.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:01 PM

He could have done this the correct way (Griz, Bulls) from the start and got a bunch of young guys and just waited 2-3 years for them all to develop together. But he messed up and got all these overvalued veterans with huge contracts and screwed the team for a couple of years. Looks like he finally realizes this and is trying to rebuild from the draft which he should have done from the start.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was that a joke? The vast majority of that list either wasn't in the last 8 picks of the first round (where the knicks likely will be), wasn't a first rounder at all, or stinks. At most 1/3 of that list meets what I asked for, and maybe less.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasnt a joke at all. If someone was available in the second round, then what stopped someone from drafting them in the last 8 picks in the 1st. The answer: NOTHING. So why shouldnt they be included on the list.

The knicks right now have mostly garbage, and Ill take ANY draft picks over that garbage any day of the week. The team needs to rebuild, and this is a good first step.

If he can flip ONE of those 1st rounders into a semi productive young player, Ill be happy.