Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Tipping

[ QUOTE ]
Sfer has it right on I think. I do what he does. And, since I play an average of 4 hours per day, I tip around $5800 per year. Plus about $300 per year for valet, plus $750 per year for food, and about $300 per year for coffee.

Not bad for a stingy $1 tipper. In fact...ouch.

Sparks

[/ QUOTE ]

your guys' reasoning is horrible....play with a tough/slow dealer and you'll appreciate what you have....

poker is a game of chance whose odds improve greatly with much skill...but it is still a "chance" you will earn $$$...while you will ALL BELITTLE AND FLAME me for this reasoning, stop being so tight and act like you're just up for a Mother Theresa award when you spew a dollar chip in a 3/6 game...when you get people calling you down with anything (maybe your game is really tight/tough?) and the money's flowing, why not tip the dealer a little more? I probably threw over 8 or 9 chips in a huge (220+) 4/8 1/2 kill pot (read: 6/12) that i won with AK high (guys showed AQ and KQ on a boring flop....my buddy [who folded to my underbet on the river of $8 because i was all in and didn't see what hand i could have that he beat, folded the winner with 99 on a board with two tens])

would that kind of tip just make you guys spit out your drink? it sounds like it...maybe i'm wrong and you guys are talking about not tipping more than a buck when you steal the blinds/get folded to on the flop.......
Old 02-26-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

your guys' reasoning is horrible....play with a tough/slow dealer and you'll appreciate what you have....

poker is a game of chance whose odds improve greatly with much skill...but it is still a "chance" you will earn $$$...while you will ALL BELITTLE AND FLAME me for this reasoning, stop being so tight and act like you're just up for a Mother Theresa award when you spew a dollar chip in a 3/6 game...when you get people calling you down with anything (maybe your game is really tight/tough?) and the money's flowing, why not tip the dealer a little more? I probably threw over 8 or 9 chips in a huge (220+) 4/8 1/2 kill pot (read: 6/12) that i won with AK high (guys showed AQ and KQ on a boring flop....my buddy [who folded to my underbet on the river of $8 because i was all in and didn't see what hand i could have that he beat, folded the winner with 99 on a board with two tens])

would that kind of tip just make you guys spit out your drink? it sounds like it...maybe i'm wrong and you guys are talking about not tipping more than a buck when you steal the blinds/get folded to on the flop.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tipped an entire pot (15 BBs) in a 2/4 game. Write in sentences.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:14 PM

Wow. I will strive to always write in sentences from now on. I was not aware that having sentence fragments in a post was deemed offensive to some. I apologize and also tell you that "Write in sentences.", while having all the elements of a "proper" sentence, is barely a comprehensible sentence. It was also very early in the morning when I wrote that and I was just trying to get some thoughts out.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:41 PM

$1/pot won.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:44 PM

hang on, you guys only tip for pots you won? I always just tipped $1 per pot.

--turnipmonster
Old 02-24-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$1/pot won.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I play 6/12 to 9/18.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:29 PM

I usually play 4-8, and I tip $1 on every pot, including blind steals. If I win a particularly large pot or have been winning a few good pots in a row, I will tip $2. If I'm having a bad night, I will occasionally not tip if I just steal the blinds. People who say that pot size makes no difference to how hard the dealer works are technically wrong - a big pot means lots of players in and lots of raising/calling, which means that it takes longer to play out the hand and hence less hands/hr for the dealer. I don't worry about this too much though.

I do have a general question about tipping, though: is it cheap to tip less than the one chip for the game? I recently started taking shots at 8-16 (like 4-8 but w/ $2 chips) and wasn't sure what to do. At first, I just tipped one chip ($2) a pot, but I noticed that some players would toss in the yellow chip, say "chop", and the dealer would toss back a blue chip. I've been doing this more and more, especially on small pots or when I've been having a bad night (I know, my night shouldn't have anything to do with it). Is this being cheap, or is the dealer's time worth the same, regardless of the game limits?
Old 02-23-2005, 06:36 PM

I tip $1 at 10/20 which is played w/ nickles.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:41 PM

I you were playing a $20/$40 would you tip a $5 chip? No, not bad form to ask for change/chop.

BTW, during the 2002 WSOP was playing $4/$8 at the Bellagio and the table next to us was $1500/$3000 limit mixed-games ( no room 'upstairs' to spread it ). Brunson and Reese among the players. Their routine was for one player in rotation, toss a new dealer a $25 chip when they sat down to cover normal 'tips'. Works out to $50/hr.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:33 AM

$1 per pot, $1 when the dealers switch, $1 when I leave