Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: posting etiquette suggestion

Okay, glad this post was made, I'll gladly comply. In fact, I'll bet I'm not alone in thinking the policy was the other way, that n00bs were discouraged from replying so they wouldn't give bad advice.

I guess on second thought, nobody has ever been shy about correcting perceived errors on this board [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was shillx's mirror before this post, running about 1:200 (well, 1:20 at least) but I'll fix that now. I've always gotten a lot out of reading other peoples hands and I'm sure I'll get even more out of saying a few dumb things and getting corrected.

One question, do you think we n00b's should throw in comments like "don't mind me I'm a n00b so this might be wrong, but I was thinking..." or can I dispense with that?
Old 02-18-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One question, do you think we n00b's should throw in comments like "don't mind me I'm a n00b so this might be wrong, but I was thinking..." or can I dispense with that?

[/ QUOTE ]
I could go either way on this. I put disclaimers in my posts when I started replying. If you have a low post count, most people will take your advice with a grain of salt anyway. In your case with 200 posts, the disclaimer can't hurt if you're not totally confident in your suggestion.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it matters on e way or the other. If your'e right, your'e right. Just becasue your'e a new poster doesn't mean you can't be right.

If you are wrong, believe me, you will be corrected in short order.

GrunchCan's Posting Theorem: Giving bad advice is what makes the forum great.

Now, isn't that ironic?
Old 02-18-2005, 03:40 PM

This is a great, and very important post. Unfortunately, it reminds me that I have a couple hands to post, so I'm about to break the rule. I probably have enough responses saved up to cover it though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2005, 03:44 PM

Good post, I've managed to get involved in a few close (or not [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) decisions and am learning from it. Plus I've put in enough replies for at least 2 hand histories [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2005, 03:58 PM

I encourage new posters to post their thoughts whether they think they are right or wrong. I learn more through getting smacked down when I give poor analysis than through any other activity. I learn a lot! LOL!

Here are some tips to couch your comments if your new.

I usually say, "I would raise here..." if I'm unsure or it's close.

If I'm sure and it's not even close I'll say, "You have to raise here.... and it's not even close. Do you see why?" LOL!
Old 02-18-2005, 06:19 PM

How many responses do you need per "(low content)" post?

Vern
Old 02-18-2005, 10:10 PM

Someone awnsering a hand question often learns as much or more about the hand than the person asking it. In order to provide a good answer, a person has to think about the situation and consider all the angles and implications. If they are unsure of something, they may have to crack a book or think about it more deeply, thereby enhancing their own knowledge so they can pass on good information. Alternately, this thought process may result in the asking of a related question; which is also good because it will tend to make the topic more thoroughly discussed and understood anyway.

For these reasons, although I'm only a beginner player, I like to awnser some of the hand questions that I think I can come up with the right answer to. I treat it like an open book test. If I'm right, I get my understanding confirmed; if I'm wrong, I learn a better way. =TomBk
Old 02-19-2005, 04:45 PM

I have posted some very bad advice. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I expected much harsher reactions but only received a polite, informative correction. Thanks everyone im getting it slowly. Take all my posts with a grain of salt. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2005, 05:13 PM

Can