Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: How do you play small pairs late in the tourney in EP? Need advic

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, you see a guy UTG push with 10BB. You know he's had AA twice in the last ten hands and lets just say he limped with both (which is a hell of an assumption). You have 14 BB, no one else is in, what do you play with in MP, LP and from the blinds?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no hand I would simply call with. Every hand I mention below I would push with to try and get isolation.

MP - AJ,AQ, AK (suited or not), AA-TT
LP - All of the above hands plus 99
SB - All of the above plus AT, A9 and 77, 88
BB - All of the above plus any pair, KQ.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, you see a guy UTG push with 10BB. You know he's had AA twice in the last ten hands and lets just say he limped with both (which is a hell of an assumption).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
AA hand 1: folded to me on button, I raise 3xBB, blinds fold, I show AA, which i'll do on ocassion to show I wasnt stealing and set up later thievery ( I probably should stop
this)

AA hand 2: Folded to me in LP, I raise 3X bb, only caller is very short stack BB, who I beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that much of an assumption now. He made the same 3xBB with AA. A push here should definitely raise an eyebrow.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: How do you play small pairs late in the tourney in EP? Need advice.

[ QUOTE ]
AA hand 1: folded to me on button, I raise 3xBB, blinds fold, I show AA, which i'll do on ocassion to show I wasnt stealing and set up later thievery ( I probably should stop
this)

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say at this buy in level you should stop this. More serious players who are taking notes. Any information you give them can and will be used against you.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no hand I would simply call with. Every hand I mention below I would push with to try and get isolation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you adding hands in the SB and BB when you now are out of position compared to MP and LP [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you adding hands in the SB and BB when you now are out of position compared to MP and LP [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You definitely are [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ! Please tell me what position will have to do if my chips are all in heads up against an opponent who is all in pre flop? This I have to hear.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:16 PM

Touche!
Old 02-17-2005, 03:32 PM

I'd fold 66 here without hesitation. You're out of position, your hand is not that good, and you have just enough chips to wait for a better situation. Your best case scenario if you push and are called here is a race, and the alternative is complete obliteration. Do you really want to be pushing with a hand that's a coinflip to T7s?

And about showing the aces: It's not necessarily wrong to show your cards, but you have to do it in a situation where you're giving your opponents some sort of misinformation that you actually want them to have. This is far more useful in a cash game or a tournament with deeper stacks. The fact that you put in a normal raise with AA, however, is information that you don't want them to have, so yeah, I wouldnt show that.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You definitely are [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ! Please tell me what position will have to do if my chips are all in heads up against an opponent who is all in pre flop? This I have to hear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point! But by that same logic, why do your requirements change at all? As you stated [ QUOTE ]
Please tell me what position will have to do if my chips are all in heads up against an opponent who is all in pre flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-17-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point! But by that same logic, why do your requirements change at all? As you stated [ QUOTE ]
Please tell me what position will have to do if my chips are all in heads up against an opponent who is all in pre flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A)Because there are less people left to act behind me who could have powerful hands. (This is the major reason)

B) Because I have already invested chips so it costs me slightly less.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because I have already invested chips so it costs me slightly less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how the fact it only costs you 9500 instead of 10000 enables you to add 4 more hands to the mix of playable callers. But I'm relatively new to tourney play.