Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Poker binge for 1 week or fly to australia with best friends.....

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, going on this trip will significantly increase the chances that he goes broke and doesn't get to play poker anymore (at least for some period of time, depending on how easy it is for him to replenish his bankroll).

[/ QUOTE ]

True, if he keeps playing his normal game underbankrolled. So maybe he has to play $1/$2 NL for a month when he gets back instead of $2/$5 NL. If he's a winning player, he'll be able to rebuild his roll pretty quickly.

I'm just saying I think it's completely worth that trade off to go on what is probably going to be a great trip/opportunity that won't come around very often.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:55 PM

You have a tough choice. All I'll say is everytime I've ever gone on a trip "with the guys", even though I might have been hesitant at first for one reason or another, I was always thankful I went.

Luke
Old 02-16-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

True, if he keeps playing his normal game underbankrolled. So maybe he has to play $1/$2 NL for a month when he gets back instead of $2/$5 NL. If he's a winning player, he'll be able to rebuild his roll pretty quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's good in theory, but that's not reality.

also can i tell you how i would never go back to 1-2nl so this is actually weighing on my decision because i would just take the 2300 to the 2-5nl and risk going broke b4 i go back down to that piss level.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just saying I think it's completely worth that trade off to go on what is probably going to be a great trip/opportunity that won't come around very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, in terms of personal priorities (ie: what I would do) I agree with you 100%. However, in terms of this poster's question, it seems pretty clear to me.

He doesn't seem very excited about going, he seems to really love poker, and going on this trip will largely increase the possibility that he goes bust at poker.

He should do whatever he wants, of course; I was just tossing out some realities of this situation.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:03 PM

go to australia, if you need to examine your bankroll drop, then chalk it up as a bad run... with booze and sex. You won't get a dry run as good as the one you will have in australia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2005, 06:48 PM

Come to Australia, It's an awesome country. How do I know?
I'm an Aussie. I don't know which city you intend on spending most of your time, but if your looking for a party then it's either Melbourne or Sydney. Melbourne has a diverse nightlife. Pubs, bars, clubs, cafe's, endless eateries and is one of the most multi cultiral cities in the world. Whilst we are all Aussies ethnic backgrounds range from European to Asian and South American we've got them all. Of course if it's anglo blonde lassies that you are keen on getting to don't fear there are plenty to go around.
Sydney on the other hand has a greater population and is a little more on the slick side, they party harder and faster if thats what youre into. Long flight or not you won't be dissapointed
Old 02-16-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, going on this trip will significantly increase the chances that he goes broke and doesn't get to play poker anymore (at least for some period of time, depending on how easy it is for him to replenish his bankroll).

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally I don't think "bankroll" is even an issue here. He's got $4000 bucks. Period. Sounds like his bankroll and his bank account are one and the same. Otherwise he could pay for the trip out of his non-poker money. The trip costs $1700.

You either want to spend the money or you don't. Sounds to me like he doesn't. He'd rather stay home and play poker. There's your answer.

Don't think it would make any difference even if he had 5 grand in "non-poker" money to pay for the trip... he'd still rather play poker than hang with his friends, and he'd still see that money as a potential bankroll cushion in case he hits a bad run at poker.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:46 PM

go to australia. not even close. have the time of your life.

come back to your 2300 bankroll and do what you have to do. if you have to grind at a lower limit than do that, but don't miss this trip.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:56 PM

why can't you just take a trip with some friends at a later time. Is it essential you see these particular friends while they are in school? See them when they come back, and either go back with them or with new people to enjoy the same experience. If you love poker as much as you do you will not be happy with an unsufficient bankroll. Low bankrolls can mess with people's heads and often can influence tilt-like play.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Brisbane not sydney.

I've decided if I make the plunge I'm going to charge it on my credit card and pay down 200 a month wont hurt the bankroll as much but it will acquire more debt coming right out of college...o well cant have your cake and eat it too.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Brisbane not sydney.

Brisbane you say,
A little on the boring side, but Queensland has great weather and loads bronzed beauties.